1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2015 1:12 PM by TSGal

Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13

SharonSingleton

Title

Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13

I recently upgraded to FM 13. However, fonts that I was using in earlier versions are now not available for formatting, specifically Myriad Pro Semibold Condensed. Is there a way to add missing fonts?

• 1. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
          philmodjunk

What operating system are you using?

What type of fonts are these? Are they True Type?

• 2. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
            SharonSingleton

The operating system is Mac OS 10.9.4 and the fonts are open type.

• 3. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
              philmodjunk

I may not be remembering correctly (Don't own a mac), but I seem to recall reading a post over in Report An Issue by TSGal that the latest version of FileMaker for Mac does not support Open Type fonts...

• 4. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
                SharonSingleton

Most of my fonts are Open Type and they work just fine There are just a few that are not available when I am working in Filemaker and of course those few are the ones I have used in most of my templates. I'll keep digging for an answer - thank you!

• 5. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
                  Katie

Hi Sharon/Phil - did you ever find an answer to this?  I am having the same problem - would like to use an OTF font that I just downloaded and it's not showing up in the fonts list (other OTF fonts are showing up just fine).

• 6. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
                    SharonSingleton

No, I am still having the same font issue. Haven't found a good solution yet.

• 7. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
                      JohnMott

I'm having the same missing fonts problem with FM Pro 13 on Mac OS X 10.10.3. Frankly, it’s irritating that any active fonts would not be available, but especially cross-platform OpenType fonts. I also find that only some fonts within a family (in this case, Univers) are available, whether PostScript or OpenType. Hopefully, Filemaker will release a patch to fix this problem.

• 8. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
                        SharonSingleton

I spent a lot of time with Tech Support at Filemaker and took my computer to the Genius Bar at Apple. No one has been able to figure out why this is happening or how to fix it. I replaced all of my fonts, made sure everything was okay in Font Book, etc. Finally I gave up and switched to a different font.

• 9. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
                          TSGal

All:

With fonts lists growing larger and larger, there was a conscious design change in FileMaker Pro 13 to not show fonts that are only there to support styles like bold, italic, condense, etc.  For example, in FileMaker Pro 12, the font list may include "Bliss 2 Regular", "Bliss 2 Italic", "Bliss 2 Bold" and "Bliss 2 Bold Italic".  Since the latter three are styles of the main font, only "Bliss 2 Regular" will appear in the font list for FileMaker Pro 13.  When you apply Bold to "Bliss 2 Regular", FileMaker Pro 13 will then use "Bliss 2 Bold" font.  If the style isn't available, then FileMaker Pro will apply its own bold algorithm.  No longer will you be able to use the "Bliss 2 Bold" font and add an additional bold like you could in FileMaker Pro 12.

One issue that has been discovered is if the user originally chose "Bliss 2 Bold" for a field/object in FileMaker Pro 12, then the font associated with that field/object will be blank in the font popup menu in FileMaker Pro 13, and it is not possible to determine what font was used.

Sharon Singleton - "Myriad Pro Semibold Condensed" font would be a condensed style of "Myriad Pro Semibold" font.  Use "Myriad Pro Semibold" font and set the style to "Condense" to set the desired result.

John Mott - Which "Univers" fonts are not displaying?

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
                            SharonSingleton

The only font in that family that shows up is Myriad Pro Semibold Condensed Italic - how do I access Myriad Pro Semibold Condensed?

• 11. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
                              JohnMott

Thanks for the update, Sharon. I just read a forum thread from 2012 where some PC users had determined that FM Pro cannot address more than 256 fonts at a time. When they deactivated some fonts, then others would show up.

However, this limit does not appear to apply to FM Pro 13 on the Mac, because my FM Pro font menu currently shows 391 active fonts.

• 12. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
                                JohnMott
                                /files/0dde76396c/PS.jpg 587x509
                                • 13. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
                                  JohnMott
                                  /files/734602c12b/OT.jpg 603x504
                                  • 14. Re: Missing Fonts in Filemaker Pro 13
                                    TSGal

Sharon Singleton:

I have the following Myriad Pro fonts listed in FileMaker Pro 12:

Myriad Pro
                                    Myriad Pro Bold
                                    Myriad Pro Bold Cond
                                    Myriad Pro Bold Cond It
                                    Myriad Pro Bold It
                                    Myriad Pro Cond
                                    Myriad Pro Cond It
                                    Myriad Pro It
                                    Myriad Pro Semibold
                                    Myriad Pro Semibold It

I created a database file with ten fields, all formatted for each of the above fonts, each having the entry "This is a test."  I also created an additional text field "TEXT" that contains "This is a test." so I can compare the entries.

I closed the file, launched FileMaker Pro 13, and opened the database file.  The only fonts that are available to me now are:

Myriad Pro
                                    Myriad Pro Bold
                                    Myriad Pro Bold Cond It
                                    Myriad Pro Bold Italic

Curiously, I was puzzled why "Bold" was showing.  When I set TEST to Myriad Pro and applied the Bold style, it appears the same as Myriad Pro Semibold.  Also applying the Italic style displayed the same as Myriad Pro Semibold Italic.  Setting TEST back to plain text and applying Condensed style, it displays the same as Myriad Pro Condensed.

Try following my example.  That is, set up a database file in FileMaker Pro 12 with fields formatted for each of the Myriad Pro fonts.  Add one additional field "TEST" so that you can change the formatting and compare to the other fonts.  Then, launch the file in FileMaker Pro 13 and compare.  If you are still having difficulty, send in the font family, and I'll try it here.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next