1 Reply Latest reply on May 24, 2010 12:24 PM by philmodjunk

Missing linked tables

Mike

Title

Missing linked tables

Hello

I'm a SQL Server DBA and completely new to FM. I'm using FM Pro 10 Advanced.

I have an existing database, but when I open it I am told that a number of linked database files can't be found. How do I find out where it's expecting to find those files and how to I go about linking them to it?

I've been told that over time, some of the data in FM has become corrupt, and that part of the problem is that it is too big. The database is under 1GB, with approx 100,000 records, so I was wondering if there was a limit to what FM can support and if this is a known problem with FileMaker.

Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

• 1. Re: Missing linked tables
          philmodjunk

Open Manage | External Data Sources...

You'll find a list there of all links to files outside your current one. You can examine and edit these links to correct that problem.

With regards to file size. I have several files here that exceed a GB and have over 100,000 records. While there isn't an issue with filemaker that will corrupt your data as the file becomes large, repairing any corruption that exists becomes much more time consuming.  File corruption is not normally the cause of what you are reporting here so I wouldn't worry about that unless you see other problems such as

File crashes

Sorts that don't sort correctly

Finds that don't find the records expected.

Then you may need to revert to a back up copy or recover your file (may take a long time) and then import the recovered data into an undamaged clone of the file.