6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 8:37 PM by carlo.m

Missing ODBC (DSN) Connections

z.crossland

Title

Missing ODBC (DSN) Connections

I just installed FM Pro 11 on a Win7 64bit machine and loaded my fm application. I soon learned that my odbc connections from my System DSN are not showing for me to connect to my sql server database.

I've successfully connected on all other machines, but when I hit 'Specify' there are simply no 'Data Souce' items to select from.  They are definately setup on the machine in System DSN.

Please HELP.

• 1. Re: Missing ODBC (DSN) Connections

Zachary Crossland:

Thank you for posting.

There could be some issues running FileMaker Pro on Windows 7 64-bit since it isn't certified and tested. Was the System DSN setup using the 32-bit ODBC Administrator?:

%systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64\Odbcad32.exe

Are the DSN's available to any other applications on the machine?

TSuki
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Missing ODBC (DSN) Connections
            z.crossland

TSuki,

Thanks for the quick response.

1. Yes the application was designed on a 32bit system with System DSN's.

2. Yes, I can see the System DSN using MS Access on the 64bit system.

Note: I also tried using Manage / Database... and editing the joined connections (which appear greyed out). It then prompts me for a 'user name' and 'password'.  After enter and selecting OK the following message appears:

ODBC Error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application.

This is dispite the drivers being the same on the 32bit and 64bit systems under ODBC Data Source (Drivers) tab.

Name:  SQL Server
            Version:  6.01.7600.16385
            File:  SQLSRV32.DLL
            Date:  7/13/2009

I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide.

• 3. Re: Missing ODBC (DSN) Connections

Zachary Crossland:

You mentioned that the database was designed on a 32-bit machine and then moved to the Windows 7 64-bit machine. However, the Windows 7 machine will have 2 versions of the ODBC Administrator: one 32-bit and one 64-bit. Can you verify that you used the 32-bit version of Odbcad32.exe to setup the System DSN and not the default 64-bit version?

TSuki
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Missing ODBC (DSN) Connections
                z.crossland

TSuki,

I tried the cmd you posted earlier (%systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64\Odbcad32.exe) and added the DSN for 64bit.  Yeah! It works!

Thanks for your expertice.

Zach

• 5. Re: Missing ODBC (DSN) Connections
                  JohnKrische

TSuki (or any other FMI staff):

Sorry to pick up this old thread, but it's directly relevant.

What would be the method to fix the identical issue on Snow Leopard?  IE, we've got a 64-bit ODBC manager, 64- and 32-bit MySQL ODBC drivers, but a 32-bit FMP?  Is there a 32-bit ODBC manager available on SL?

Reason I ask:  I run my Mac as a rEFIt'ed multi-boot with 10.6, XP 32bit and Win 7 64bit.  I've got the ODBC working on XP and, thanks to this thread, now on Win 7 x64, but not on Snow Leopard.  The reason is the same, 64-bit/32-bit mismatch.  My FMP DB's ODBC connection should work regardless of the OS I am booted into at the moment. 

• 6. Re: Missing ODBC (DSN) Connections
                    carlo.m

Also on WS2008, can't see the System DSN that I created for Firebird. OS is 64 bit, firebird is 64 bit I already installed the 64 bit driver before having this problem.

I have now installed the 32 bit driver and tried to create a DSN with that one and had no luck.

Do I have to downgrade to WS2008 32 bit?