2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2013 11:04 AM by philmodjunk

Missing Records

wilz

Title

Missing Records

BACKGROUND
           I have 3 tables in my database.  I wrote some scripts where you create a record in TABLE 1, and the script will then automatically fill in TABLE 2 and 3, then bring your "view" back to Table 1. Each table linked with a common Key

WHAT HAPPENED:
           I had already eneterd 10 records previously, then saved and closed file. Re-opened and Went to table 1, creted a new record, ran my script, returned to Table 1, but could not find the record I just created. (this was working ok before)

HOW I KNOW IT WAS MISSING
           NOT-"Show all"
           In Table 1, I made sure the "show all" records was clicked then went through all of them, but could not find the record (It indicated only 10 records existed).  

NOT "Not Created"
           I then did a serch it's Key through "quick search" bar, and found the record (and it indicated it found 1 / 10), BUT when I clicked "show all" again I could not find it in the list again.  ALSO the I could find the related records in TABLE 2 and 3, just not in Table 1

MY QUESTION IS: 
           1. Is there some "default" setting that can hide the record? (just wondering if I put it in my script by accident)
           2. Since im still developing the DB, file is stored on dropbox, and I was using a "conflicted copy"... could this be the reason? (Coz Dropbox renamed the file.... could it be that FM didnt "get" this?  Personally I think this was the reason, but just wanna ask about other possibilties.  

Thanks! 
           Willie 

• 1. Re: Missing Records
          wilz

Incase you are also curious I found this thread fon dropbox / filemaker: 

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/bedec00716

• 2. Re: Missing Records
            philmodjunk

There is no such setting. But should your file be damaged, problems finding or sorting records is a frequent symptom of damage--usually to a field's index.

It's also possible that the design of your layout is misleading you as to whether or not you have a missing record.

To rebuild the index of a single field:

1.           Open Manage | Database | Fields and double click the field
            3.           Use either the storage tab or the storage options button to turn off indexing.
            5.           Exit Manage | Database, then return and turn indexing back on.

You can also rebuild all your file's indexes by importing all the data into an empty copy (clone) of your file.

If you have FileMaker 11 or newer, you can use Advanced Recovery options to rebuild your file's indexes:

1.           With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.
            3.           Select "Use advanced Options"
            5.           Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".