3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 12:54 PM by philmodjunk

Missing records in find show up in exported file

JillianDunic

Title

Missing records in find show up in exported file

I have a layout that includes fields and portals to various tables. When I search for Site 8 + Species X; Site 8 + Species Y; Site 8 + Species Z my search resutls tell me that there are 63 records. All the various fields/information that I have setup in the layout appears complete for these records.

Then I export the data to an excel sheet, and I end up with 100 rows. An additional 36 records have appeared and most of the important information I need for them is missing. There is some information like pk_PackedID, which I have used to follow back through the database to see if something is broken or actually missing. But I am able to trace the path all the way back and the sample IS from Site 8 and is Species X, even though these records do not show up in found records and this information (Site 8, Species X, ...) does not show up in the exported dataset. So FilemakerPro is seeing this relationship but not giving me all of the information. 

I have noticed that this has happened from a set of data that I imported recently from a spreadsheet. However, it is not consistent because there are records from that same import that are showing up as complete. 

Has anyone ever had this happen before? How do I go about fixing this? 

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Missing records in find show up in exported file
          raybaudi

Especially in the case of imported data but also in case of incorrect manual entries, it is possible that there are in the fields non-visible elements such as spaces, which can affect the number of records found.

Have a look to the indices for those fields.
          • 2. Re: Missing records in find show up in exported file
            JillianDunic

Thanks for the suggestion, but in my data clean-up I was pretty thorough. And now new insight has come to me.

Update: I now see why some of the metadata isn't showing up. My set up is 

Specimen --> Sample --> PackedSample

So a packed sample has an fk_SampleID, and a Sample has an fk_SpecimenID.  What is happening is that in the exported sheet, when a sample has been packed more than once, only the PackedSampleID shows up, and for some reason the duplicate fk_SampleID and fk_SpecimenID won't show up. They also won't show up in the found records. Knowing this, is there any way to fix it?

• 3. Re: Missing records in find show up in exported file
              philmodjunk

I suspect that you are searching records in one table using criteria specified for another and that your records export is exporting related data, which will produce incomplete rows of data in your export.

I can't tell that for sure from the incomplete info in this thread but that would fit the results that you describe here.