3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 10:00 AM by philmodjunk

Mixing Field Contents and Custom Values in Value Lists

JL_1

Title

Mixing Field Contents and Custom Values in Value Lists

Hello everyone,

I have what I think is a basic question, for which I am having trouble finding any answers across several FMP forums and manuals. I have a value list that draws its contents from two fields in my database. I would like to allow the user to choose one or two additional values not found in the fields (so that, e.g., the user could choose "Other" or "None of the above"). Is it somehow possible, without adding dummy records using the fields at which the value list currently looks, to set up a value list that draws both from a field AND from a custom list?

Thank you very much for any insight you would be willing to offer!

My best,

J

FileMaker Pro 11, OS X Snow Leopard

• 1. Re: Mixing Field Contents and Custom Values in Value Lists
          philmodjunk

In your table that is serving as the source of values for this list, define this calculation field:

List ( YourCurrentValueField ; "Other" ; "None of the Above" )

Define your value list to list values from this calculation field instead of YourCurrentValueField and you'll see all the current values in this field, plus the additional values specified in this List function in the calculation field.

• 2. Re: Mixing Field Contents and Custom Values in Value Lists
            JL_1

PhilModJunk,

Thank you very much! That makes sense. I didn't know about the List() function before.

Is it possible to apply this principle somehow in cases in which the original value list was drawing from two fields, showing values from the second field but using values from the first, using only related values? To put that another way, in cases where a value list is showing, e.g., a Name, but actually entering an ID number (these are two fields in the same table), and only displaying values related to the current record, is it possible to apply what you explained to me to add several values (e.g., "Other" and "None of the Above") for all records, as these two values won't be related to the current record?

Thank you! I appreciate your help.

My best,

J.

• 3. Re: Mixing Field Contents and Custom Values in Value Lists
              philmodjunk

Because these values are in every single record in the value table, they will appear in all conditional value list subsets.

Try it out and see how it works.