1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 6, 2012 12:07 PM by philmodjunk

Modifiable Number field with auto entry from default settings table

JerryAPowers

Title

Modifiable Number field with auto entry from default settings table

I'm thinking that there is probably a simple solution to this. I am trying to have a number field that can be modified that contains the value from a separate table. However, when I create the field with the auto entry the default settings entry from the other table will not appear. However, when I make it a calculation field that simply inserts the Default Settings value, I cannot modify the field.

I don't want to simply insert the field from the Default Settings table because this will modify the calculations for all of the other records.

I tried having the number field with an auto entry calculation that uses the GetAsNumber function, but it will not retrieve the Default Settings field content.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Modifiable Number field with auto entry from default settings table
          philmodjunk

An auto-entered calculation should work here and GetAsNumber should not be necessary.

I can guess at one possible scenario as to why this appears not to work when using a calculation field does display the desired value:

Try creating new record with the auto-enter calcualtion in place. I predict that the value will correctly appear in the newly created record. Existing records will not automatically auto-enter data when a field is modified to get an auto-enter calculation or the calculation's expression is modified.

See this thread for a way to update your existing records after adding/changing an auto-enter calculation:

Updating values in auto-enter calc fields without using Replace Field Contents

The other issue that can be a factor is that changes to the data in the default table will not automatically update the values in existing records in your main table. You may need to use Replace Field Contents or the above method to update values when this is needed.