5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2014 8:55 AM by philmodjunk

Modified Dates and Tab Controls Problem

UnrealIsm

Title

Modified Dates and Tab Controls Problem

I created a form, and on my Main table, I have a column on the far left with a edit box with the field "Modified Date". On the right is my "Tab Control" box. I have 3 tabs. The 1st tab, is information. If any of it is modified it changes that modified date on the left just fine. However, in my other tabs, any changes I make does not update that same column on the far left I created. What am I missing here?

Screen_Shot_2014-12-05_at_4.09.27_PM.png

• 1. Re: Modified Dates and Tab Controls Problem
          UnrealIsm

Here is my second tab...

• 2. Re: Modified Dates and Tab Controls Problem
            UnrealIsm

I guess let me rephrase this...

My Information and my notes updates that Modified field. However my Events does not. It is a portal view to another table. The tables are linked, but when I make changes to it, it will not update the modified field on the left. 

• 3. Re: Modified Dates and Tab Controls Problem
              philmodjunk

A field set to auto-enter a modification date will only update with a new date if a field in that record is modified. Modifying data in a related record will not cause it to update.

• 4. Re: Modified Dates and Tab Controls Problem
                UnrealIsm

In the first screenshot, the modification date will automatically update if I change any fields in the records in the Information tab as well as the notes tab. The Events tab as shown in my second screenshot will not update that "modification date" like the others. I am thinking because it is a portal to another database (Sales::Events) vs (Sales::Main). I think what I am needing is to link the table relationships, but not sure which ones and what settings. I tried but it did not work either. Any ideas?

• 5. Re: Modified Dates and Tab Controls Problem
                  philmodjunk

I explained that in my previous post. Your fields on the Events tab are from a related table and changes to a related table are changes in other records. Since no change has taken place in the record where you defined this modification date field, it does not update when one of those fields are edited. Your portal represents a set of multiple records, any one of which might or might not be altered at any given time.

If you want to show a field that changes each time any Related Note record is added, deleted or modified in addition to any modification of the current layout record's fields, you'll need to define a modification date field in the Events table and then add an unstored calculation field that reports the largest (most recent) date from either modification field and over all the related Events table records:

cMostRecentModDate:  (define this in your layout's table)
                  Max ( RecordModifiedDate ; Max ( Events::RecordModifiedDate ) )

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking