7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2013 9:28 PM by CharlesDestrempes

Modify existing Value List and use as portal filter

CharlesDestrempes

Title

Modify existing Value List and use as portal filter

I've tried several things and know I am close to the solution...I just can't make this work.

In table A (Cats) I have a value list which goes "Mixed";"-";and then lots of specific breeds (user modifiable)

In table B(Adoptions) I have a portal through various relationships which shows cats that are available for adoption.  I want to allow the user to filter the displayed cats via multiple drop-downs.  The drop downs are global vars from my global table and have value lists assigned to them (e.g. Age, Breed, etc.) which  I then simply add into a query on the portal filter functionality (not efficient but record count is small enough it works).  On entry into the adoption records i set each of the filter globals to "All" so there is no filtering done.

However, for Breed I have an existing value list AND need to somehow insert All in as the first item in the value list so it is selectable by the user.  I've tried a couple of approaches (custom functions to insert/remove items via let) and I just can't get it to work quite right.

Suggestions?

• 1. Re: Modify existing Value List and use as portal filter
          philmodjunk

Is this a custom value list or a list of values from a table?

While we could set this up as a custom value list, I'm concerned that such would give the user too much freedom as in enables them to remove the "all" and "mixed" entries.

It's possible to set up a table of breeds as the source of values for the list and use a calcualtion field defined in that table to add in the "all", "mixed" and "-" values for the list:

List ( " All" ; " mixed" ; "-" ; BreedField ) //note the space used as the first letter of the first two terms

How you use the value entered into the global field from this value list depends on how you set up your portal filter.

Trim (globals::gBreed) = "all" or Trim ( globals::gBreed) = PortalTable::breed

is one possibility.

• 2. Re: Modify existing Value List and use as portal filter
            CharlesDestrempes

It's a custom list.

The list "Breeds" which is structured as: Mixed, -, breed 1, breed 2, etc.

This list will allow the user to enter new values - so it will change over time.

I need to take this list and add "All" as the first item so I can then use it as a filter on a portal and keep UI simple (my other two choice lists start with All).

I understand that the user could "break" the list/system if they happen to edit it incorrectly.

CharlieD

• 3. Re: Modify existing Value List and use as portal filter
              philmodjunk

Then you simply need to add All as one of the custom values. But I caution that this is not the best option for managing your breed values. Your table ov breeds can be set up so that user can modify the values in the list by editing the data in the breeds table and this will protect your system from user error.

• 4. Re: Modify existing Value List and use as portal filter
                CharlesDestrempes

I wanted to do it script based/etc. so that when the user is entering an animal they don't see All...but it is available as the first item on the filter when I need to use the same core list as the filter list.

• 5. Re: Modify existing Value List and use as portal filter
                  philmodjunk

What I describe would do exactly what you have requested.

• 6. Re: Modify existing Value List and use as portal filter
                    philmodjunk

Here's a demo file: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78737945/FilterPortalCatBreeds.fmp12

Notes: I cut a number of corners to keep the demo simple and to make it something that I could quickly set up. You probably wouldn't put a port to cat breeds on the same layout as your filtered portal but it shows how you can edit the "breed" values and yet neither "mixed" nor "all" appear in the list to be edited.

For smooth updates of a filtered portal, the "filter fields" should be included in the portal's relationship using the X operator.

• 7. Re: Modify existing Value List and use as portal filter
                      CharlesDestrempes

Okay - I've been working with this for a bit now and applying some of it to my existing database.

I understand about half of what you did and implemented that with some tweaks.  I broke out breeds into its own table and created two calc fields and two value lists (one for breeds-new and one for breeds-filter).  In the breeds-new I added an option "Add Breed..." which I catch during an OOM trigger to invoke a dialog to enter the new breed (since i don't want to expose the breed table directly - only for admin/maint).  In the breeds-filter I add the "All" item.

I use the breeds-filter with the all and have worked that into my portal filter calculations.

I still need to look further at how you setup the relationships (and I need to find a good primer on the Let command) since the way you do the filter is much more efficient then what I'm doing (relationship based vs. actual critiera).

Thank you very much for the demo DB!!!

CharlieD