2 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 7:37 PM by bruderdog

Modify Timestamp

bruderdog

Title

Modify Timestamp

Hi, In my products table I have a field that creates a timestamp when a product record is modified. However I'm noticing that when I go to another layout and return to the products layout, the modification stamp has been updated. Is there a way to set it up so it only updates to a new number when i make an actual change to one of the other fields in the record.

If not, is there a way to create a field that does this?

• 1. Re: Modify Timestamp
          philmodjunk

The field should only update if some field in the record was modified. This could be as subtle as a set field step that sets a field to the value that it already has, but just the change in layouts by itself will not result in the field updating to show a new date.

Look for script triggers that modify a field in the record.

Keep in mind that two layouts can refer to the same table so something on either layout might be modifying the record.

• 2. Re: Modify Timestamp
            bruderdog

Hey Phil, turns out your were right. I have a script that updates every product number (not the auto serial number I use as a primary key) in every record every time one record's product number is updated. So thanks for pointing that out.

For anyone else interested,

I needed a field that would update a modification time stamp only when certain predetermined fields are changed. This post solved my

http://www.phillyfilemaker.org/index.php/2010/01/whats-so-great-about-the-modification-date/

J