5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 2:22 PM by philmodjunk

Modifying Password Record and Reflect these changes on actual account

KevinPetty

Title

Modifying Password Record and Reflect these changes on actual account

We recently made changes to three records in the database that house our users password (records) information due to misspellings and name adjustments that needed to take place.  Once we had made the changes on the users records we tried pulling data on the records we had modified in a database that uses these users records that are in our password database and we were able to access the modified users records but the info that pertained to that users original account that the original record was tied to does not show up.  It seems that since I modified the record it did not reflect the changes on the accounts for these users.  I can still log into the original accounts if I want to access a database because I still have the users original password and the data for that user does show up.  How would I get the modified record to reflect the data in the original account (the original record that I modified no longer shows up in the password database because it was edited)?  I am assuming that since I received a new password for the modified record in our password database i would plug that into the old account so that they correspond?

If I have not clarified correctly please dont hesitate to ask me any questions to verify my question regarding this issue:
      Thanks in advance

Kevin

• 1. Re: Modifying Password Record and Reflect these changes on actual account
          philmodjunk

This is what I understand you to have as a relationship:

PasswordTable::Password = RelatedTable::Password

Or possibly:

PasswordTable::AccountName = RelatedTable::Accountname

Either way, when you edit the text field in PasswordTable, the connection to the related table is broken. The best solution is to not set this type of relationship up in the first place.

Do this:

PasswordTable::SerialIDfield = RelatedTable::IDfield

Now, you can edit either AccountName or Password in the Password table and you will not lose the link to the related records. With your current relationship, You have to find all the records in the RelatedTable for a given incorrect password or account name, correct them and then you can modify the key field in the password table to match. While this can be done with a script, failure to modify all the records in exactly the same manner will leave you with missing related records or even related records that match to the wrong PasswordTable record. Thus, my suggestion to avoid this kind of relationship all together.

• 2. Re: Modifying Password Record and Reflect these changes on actual account
            KevinPetty

Thanks,

This was actually set up by a company that the school district I work for contracted to set up.  It was in place before I worked here and I have been asked to look into taken over their work since they pay this company for any changes to the database.  I am really not to familiar with the program and this is the first roadblock I have run into.

• 3. Re: Modifying Password Record and Reflect these changes on actual account
              philmodjunk

If you are going to replace them, be prepared to invest the needed time to learn how the system works. There are books, tutorials and training courses available that can help. And you are always welcome to ask questions here.

• 4. Re: Modifying Password Record and Reflect these changes on actual account
                KevinPetty

Thanks again,  I will also contact the company that currently maintains the database and see if they can provide me with as much info as they can so that I am clear with what I am dealing with.  The account I have has full access and the password field in the password table is not modifiable.  It seems their is a script that runs once you change the first name or last name or first/last name field the credentials for the password field adjust accordingly.  I assume once they have modified one of the editable fields on the record they then reflect those changes on the account in File menu > Define > Accounts & Privilege (filemaker 8.5).  On the account the user name reflects the password indicated on the record and the password for the account Is not visible due to it being sercured.  

Kevin

• 5. Re: Modifying Password Record and Reflect these changes on actual account
                  philmodjunk

It's hard to say much more without being able to open the file with a full access password and physically examine the file, it's scripts and layouts. There are a number of strategies possible that do this type of thing.