AnsweredAssumed Answered

Modifying Record Based on Contents of Another Record

Question asked by MichaelRoche on Dec 21, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 24, 2012 by MichaelRoche

Title

Modifying Record Based on Contents of Another Record

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing these forums for a while, but finally have a question that I could use an answer to. I have a field called "Type" that uses a value list with around 6 different values. Then I have another field that I want to have a color set based on the contents of the first field. For example, see the chart below:

When Field X is:                     Field Y Should Be:
                    ICM                     Orange
                    SPK                     Green
                    VID                     Blue
                    MIC                     Red

The second portion of this is a little more complicated. I also want the background color of Field Y to change as the contents change. So when Field Y said "Orange", the background color would also change to orange. I think the easiest way to do that would be to have another layout that serves as a user interface to set these choices. So in this setup window, you could specify the options available in Field X, the resulting value that would appear in Field Y, and choose from a color picker the color that displays behind FIeld Y.

I know that's a lot, but I hope someone can help me out. Also, I'm running Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced. Thanks so much!!

Outcomes