7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 1:28 PM by BramRaphael

Monthly central line days report

BramRaphael

Title

Monthly central line days report

I am looking to create a report listing the total number of catheter days for my patient population.  There is one table w/ patient demographics, including ID # (medical record number), dateassume (starting care), enddate (termination of care).  There is another table w/ catheter information, including ID # (medical record number), dateinse (date of line insertion), remdate (date of line removal).  The tables are linked by relationship ID#==ID#.  

The maximum number of line days a patient can contribute is 30.  Patients who haven't started care or who have terminated care will not contribute line days to a particular month.  If they start midway through the month and line is in place all month, then they only contribute days when we cared for them.  If the line is removed midway through the month and we are caring for them the whole month, then they only contributed a portion of the month.  Please see example below of how to calculate line days for April 2012

The report should have a column with the month/year, say November 2012 and another column with the number of total # line days within the month -- which is sum of line days contributed by all the patients.

Appreciate any thoughts, BPR

CATHETER DAYS
                Case (
                Demographics::DATEASSUME  > Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ); 0;

Demographics::ENDDATE < Date ( 4;1 ; 2012 ) and  Demographics::ENDDATE  ≠  Date ( 1 ;1 ; 1901 ); 0;

DATEINSE < Date ( 4;1 ; 2011 ) and REMDATE   <   Date ( 4 ; 1 ; 2012 ) and REMDATE  ≠  Date ( 1 ;1 ; 1901 ); 0;

Demographics::DATEASSUME  < Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ) and (Demographics::ENDDATE > Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) or  Demographics::ENDDATE  =  Date ( 1 ;1 ; 1901 )) and DATEINSE  ≤  Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) and REMDATE    ≥    Date ( 4 ; 1 ; 2012 ) and REMDATE   ≤   Date ( 4; 30 ; 2012 ); REMDATE - Date (4; 1; 2012) + 1;

Demographics::DATEASSUME  < Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ) and (Demographics::ENDDATE > Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) or  Demographics::ENDDATE  =  Date ( 1 ;1 ; 1901 )) and DATEINSE  ≤  Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) and REMDATE   =   Date ( 1 ;1 ; 1901 ); 30;

Demographics::DATEASSUME  < Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ) and (Demographics::ENDDATE > Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) or  Demographics::ENDDATE  =  Date ( 1 ;1 ; 1901 )) and DATEINSE  ≤  Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) and REMDATE  >  Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ); 30;

Demographics::DATEASSUME  < Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ) and (Demographics::ENDDATE > Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) or  Demographics::ENDDATE  =  Date ( 1 ;1 ; 1901 )) and DATEINSE   ≥   Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) and DATEINSE    ≤   Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ) and REMDATE  >  Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ); Date (4; 30; 2012) - DATEINSE + 1;

Demographics::DATEASSUME  < Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ) and (Demographics::ENDDATE > Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) or  Demographics::ENDDATE  =  Date ( 1 ;1 ; 1901 )) and DATEINSE   ≥   Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) and DATEINSE ≤ Date ( 4 ;31 ; 2012 ) and  REMDATE  =  Date ( 1 ;1 ; 1901 );  Date (4; 30; 2012) - DATEINSE + 1; 

Demographics::DATEASSUME  < Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ) and (Demographics::ENDDATE > Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) or  Demographics::ENDDATE  =  Date ( 1 ;1 ; 1901 )) and DATEINSE   ≥   Date ( 4 ;1 ; 2012 ) and DATEINSE    ≤   Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ) and REMDATE   ≤   Date ( 4 ; 30 ; 2012 ) and REMDATE  ≠  Date ( 1 ;1 ; 1901 ); REMDATE - DATEINSE;

DATEINSE > Date (4; 30; 2011); 0
                )

• 1. Re: Monthly central line days report
          philmodjunk

You really need to use a summary report for this so that you can get monthly totals without the need for your case function.

What's making me cautious here is this statement:

If they start midway through the month and line is in place all month, then they only contribute days when we cared for them.

I gather that the line can be inserted before you start caring for them and may be removed after?

Can they start care, but not be catheritized yet?

• 2. Re: Monthly central line days report
            BramRaphael

Thank you so much for responding.  Agree I need a summary report, so that monthly totals are tabulated automatically.

The general idea is that I want to keep track of the total number of line days that my program is responsible for.

I guess we're looking for overlap days of caring for patient (between starting and stopping care) and days with line in place (inserted and removed).  One patient may have multiple lines over time -- placed and removed for various reasons.  If there are 2 lines in place any particular day (which really doesn't happen much), they should only get credit for 1 day.  

Report should list total line days/month for the entire program.  For example, if there are 80 patients (no new starts, no stops) and nobody had days without line, then month would equal 80 * 30 = 2400.   

Hope I'm explaining clearly.  Thoughts?

BPR

• 3. Re: Monthly central line days report
              philmodjunk

Keep in mind that while your procedures are familiar to you, they aren't familiar to others. I still don't have a clear picture of how the data in your table may be used to compute the results that you want.

I gather that the line can be inserted before you start caring for them and may be removed after?

Can they start care, but not be catheritized yet?

Will this report be for a single month or multiple months with a sub-total for each month?

• 4. Re: Monthly central line days report
                BramRaphael

Hello, really appreciate your trying to help.  A central venous catheter is a tube placed into a person's major veins to deliver IV medicines, fluids and nutrition.  These catheters are prone to complications.  As such, it is common to track the rate of complications.  For example, a program typically reports its rate of infections as number of infections per 1,000 line days.  Some patients have their lines in place for many years, while others need their lines replaced quite frequently.  As you can see, counting the number of line days can be quite complicated.  

A line may be placed before or during the time I am caring for a patient.  

A patient may be under my care without a line in place.

A line may be removed after the time I've terminated care for a patient.

I envision the report will be for multiple months with sub-total for each month.  

If it helps, I've attached screen shots of the table with patient start/end dates are entered as well as line start/end dates.  In the last figure, I've portrayed how I imagine the final report might look.  

Thank you again for trying to help with this project.

BPR

• 5. Re: Monthly central line days report
                  BramRaphael

Sorry, it appears screen shots did not appear.  I will try to repost here #1.

• 6. Re: Monthly central line days report
                    BramRaphael

I will try to repost here #2.

• 7. Re: Monthly central line days report
                      BramRaphael

I will try to repost here #3.