3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2009 11:21 AM by synergy46

Monthname(getastext(date)) ... not working???

synergy46

Title

Monthname(getastext(date)) ... not working???

I have 1 table

I have 2 fields in that table:

#1 mnthname (text)

#2 dater (date)

mnthname: autoenter calculation = monthname(getastext(date)) returns NOTHING

unless I edit the Dater field and then click out of the record.  It seems that doing so 'refreshes' the mnthname field and it calculates correclty.

The weird thing is that if I do a global field replace, everything is fine.  If I add a record  it also produces the calculation results.

My quesiton is, when I add a calculated field to a table, isn't there a way to get the calculation to take

pLACE immediaitely for all records WITHOUT doing a REPLACE?

I think there is something pretty basic and fundamenal I am missing but can't see it.

Can you?

Thanks

Ron

• 1. Re: Monthname(getastext(date)) ... not working???
          raybaudi

synergy46 wrote:

mnthname: autoenter calculation = monthname(getastext(date)) returns NOTHING

isn't there a way to get the calculation to take pLACE immediaitely for all records WITHOUT doing a REPLACE?

Hi synergy

there is a difference from a text field with option of auto-enter a calculation

AND

a calculated field, result text.

It seems that you need the last and the calc will be simoly: MonthName ( date )

• 2. Re: Monthname(getastext(date)) ... not working???
            comment_1

To emphasize Daniele's last point: MonthName() requires a parameter of type Date. In order to evaluate

MonthName ( GetAsText ( Datefield ) )

it is necessary to perform two conversions: first, the explicit conversion of Datefield to text, then an implicit conversion of the result back to date. All that's achieved here is some redundant CPU cycles, contributing to further global warming.

• 3. Re: Monthname(getastext(date)) ... not working???
              synergy46

Thanks for your help.  You are right.  Changing the field to "calculation" field type updates immediately.   As an old dBase programmer I am used to 'doing everything myself programmatically and I guess that habit is hard to break.   Thank you  again.

Ron

:smileyvery-happy: