3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2010 3:20 PM by mrvodka

More Access woes

Hoggster

Title

More Access woes

Hi,

have crossed over to FM11 from access and things are going ok thanks to ease of use and the friendliness of the forum.

i keep running into things i could do with access but can't seem to replicate in fm.

in access i could have a program run a query that required and asked for a user input ie; name of trainee. the query criteria would look like this;  like "*"&[Name]&"*" which would allow me to type in any consecutive letters within the name to find the name ( my trainees are from all parts and the spellings are difficult to say the least).

i'm sure you can do this is fm but i would like to know how.

cheers

Nick H

• 1. Re: More Access woes
          mrvodka

A find in basically a query. If you enter find mode and then type in *bob* it would find the equivalent.

• 2. Re: More Access woes
            Hoggster

Thanks. I was hoping that i would be able to specify the field in the find without having to navigate to it. Also does that mean i have to be in a specific layout in order to find anything on it (not so with access).

btw how does find deal with cross table queries??

thanks again

• 3. Re: More Access woes
              mrvodka

FileMaker is very much context sensitive. Therefore you will have to perform a search in a layout. If you put a related child field on the layout, searching for a value in it will return the parent records that match that criteria.

However, you CAN write a script that searches things for you. For exampel, if you use a global field to allow a user to enter in a value ( let's call it gNameEntry ), you can script something as such for the find.

Enter Find Mode [ ]

Set Field [ Name; "*" & gNameEntry & "*" ]

Perform Find [ ]