3 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 9:15 AM by philmodjunk

More Counting Quesitons

niponki

Title

More Counting Quesitons

Ok, back again with another question.  :smileyhappy:

Version: File Maker Pro 6

Platform: Windows XP

Me: Fairly new, but have built a few things and know my way around the basics

Background

I have a relational database that I have created and it is filled.  What I want to do now is have a layout within the parent file that summarizes all the data respective to my database.  This layout will have the the number of instances or occurances certain text has been chosen from various drop down menus within the database.  In addition, I would like to have one field that contains a drop down menu on the summary layout.  This drop down menu will have catagories that the user might want to have summarized.  For example, when the user clicks on the drop down menu field, he/she will get the following catagories:

Catagory 1

Catagory 2

Catagory 3

If he/she selects "Catagory 3," then the number of instances that catagory 3 has been chosen within the database will be displayed.   

Solution

Basically, I want to know if this is possible, and if it is, what would be the proper syntax, because I can't seem to get it working.  Here is the logic that I came up with to run this.

if (relationship::relatedfield1)

then count(relatedfield1)

else if (relationship::relatedfield2)

then count(relatedfield2)

end if

That is a truncated version of the logic, for there are many more "if's" to be had there, but I left at that just for simplicity. 

Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: More Counting Quesitons
          philmodjunk

Please read my reply to your other thread for calculation fields that will get your counts.

From there you can set up a summary report to report the totals.

I know you're using filemaker 6, but the following tutorial should still give you some ideas on how to set this up:

Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial

• 2. Re: More Counting Quesitons
            niponki

Thanks for the reply, sorry for reposting something that is pretty close, if not the same as the other.  Maybe one of the mods can combine the posts?  I was pretty sure I was talking about different things here, but they kind of ended up being the same thing. 

I read your tutorial that you gave in the link, very informative, thanks.  I have one question though.  When you use the sub-summary part, does it include all instances across the entire database (i.e from other files, layouts, etc) or is it local to that layout? 

Thank you,

Peter

• 3. Re: More Counting Quesitons
              philmodjunk

It includes data from all records in the found set that have been sorted into the same group. (Your "sorted by" or "break" field determines this.) If these records link to other tables both in this file and others, those links will be valid and you can include fields from these tables and calculations that reference them. The tutorial does that by including Invoice fields in the sub summary of a layout based on Line Items.