6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2012 11:39 AM by jb362

More Drop Down Lists woes

jb362

Title

More Drop Down Lists woes

I’m still having some issues with Drop Down Lists — probably this is due to pilot error since I’m fairly new to FMP.

I have created a few tables each with associated value lists (no filters) using field values.

Initially I had the control style set to Pop Up Menu for each field in question on the layout.

Next I changed the all control styles to Drop Down Lists.

One table which has 69 records shows only 62 of the items.

Another table with 33 records shows only 16 items.

Another table with 9 records shows 2 items with 3 blank lines looks like...

blank

blank

blah blah

blah blah

blank

Another with 7 records also shows 3 items and 2 blank lines looks like...

blank

blah blah

blah blah

blank

blank

None of my value lists show the correct number of items.

It seems like Drop Down Lists are set up expecting to have a minimum of 5 items/records to be present and if there are less than 5 items the blanks appear. And when there are more than 14 items to be displayed only 14 items show at a time with an elevator for scrolling.

Any idea what I am doing wrong or what’s going on?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: More Drop Down Lists woes
          schamblee

To include all values you have to check the box that states "Include All Values".  This option is available on the screen where you create your value list.

There is a minimum drop size the.  The number of items listed changes based on the font and font size.  The bigger the font the fewer the items in the list.

• 2. Re: More Drop Down Lists woes
            jb362

All of my values lists have the “Include All Values” radio button marked as selected.

• 3. Re: More Drop Down Lists woes
              philmodjunk

Do you show values from just the primary field or have you selected the "also show values from" option to list values from a secondary field?

Do you specify sorting on the secondary field?

• 4. Re: More Drop Down Lists woes
                jb362
                /files/8d0c0e4f90/Title_Values_List.JPG 321x378
                • 5. Re: More Drop Down Lists woes
                  philmodjunk

Check for duplicate values in the Title field.

When you show only second field values or sort on the second field values, data from records with duplicate values in the Title field is excluded. You may also have records where there is no matching record in Titles for a given record in "Master Record".

The relationship between Master Record and Titles may also be an issue here.

• 6. Re: More Drop Down Lists woes
                    jb362

My choice for use values from first field was the problem.

As you can see from the above snippet I had it set to Master Records.

When I changed the choice to Titles the issue went away and all the items in the value list displayed as expected.

FWIW: That incorrect referencing turned out to be the cause of my database crashing whenever I tried to make changes to the tables. I had even re-installed FMP thinking it was possibly corrupted.