3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 7:00 AM by LaRetta_1

more info regarding table being imported

CompleteRehab

Title

more info regarding table being imported

i'm posting another message with more info:  I have been a FM user for 15 years - using FM 10 now, please see the email below that was posted a little while ago: 

long story short...worked with tech support for hours today - trying to remove records from one file and placing into another file - we worked through the process today (i have a claim number if that would help) using a test file.  Now i'm on my own, everything looks right but i'm missing something.....how or what do i need to change when i receive the error message "a table cannot be imported into itself"  thank you!! 

I need to take records that i'll call "drop" and move to it's own database (file).  the tech guy worked with me for hours, many long steps but it worked.  So now i'm doing it, everything looks exactly the same (as compared to the same), i have the source listed and the target yet the error message states "a table cannot be imported into itself"  I'm not importing a table into itself - but i can't figiure why it keeps giving me that error...i would appreciate any help!

thanks Barb

• 1. Re: more info regarding table being imported
          LaRetta_1

Hi Barb, I didn't see this post until after I answered your last one "a table cannot be imported into itself"  help!!

It sounds like what you are missing, is understanding that the layout must be based upon the target?

• 2. Re: more info regarding table being imported
            CompleteRehab

thanks for your feedback...guess the real question is then how do i add the "layout" to the target and source??

these are the steps in the edit scripts:

1.  Go to Layout [Column Report (2009-2010)]  - specificy:  Column Report

2.  Perform Find (Restore]  )  Action: Find Records  Criteria:  2009-2010::Therapist: [="Drop"]

3.  Import Records [No dialog; "Drops 2009 10"](specificy data source - did that fine, unless that's where i'm not clicking on the right file, i have a file i'm using for practice before using on the real one); Specify import order:  Source: 2009-2010  Target: 2009-2010 2 (i have that because i added a table when i clicked on manage databases.  The tech guy thought i should have had a "copy" but in FM 10 that didn't exist, he was working in Advanced.

4. Delete All records (no dialog)

5. Show all records

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Barb

• 3. Re: more info regarding table being imported
              LaRetta_1

Working in two different threads, each with bits and pieces of different information is making it difficult.

When you find your records, that is the Source.  Where do you want to copy them?  Is there an existing table to copy them into?  You need a layout based upon the target table.  Do you have a table in your graph to receive this information?  If not, you can actually create a target during your import.  When the import dialog appears, you can pop open the target pop-up and at the bottom will be the words 'new table' and it will create a layout based upon this new table and copy your records into it.

But again ... I would really like to understand what you are doing and why.  Is this a one-time migration?