3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2009 10:30 AM by philmodjunk

most "effecient" way to make an entire table as portal in a layout?

DonorTracker

Title

most "effecient" way to make an entire table as portal in a layout?

In terms of "load on the database", what is the most efficient way to have an entire table's records appear in a portal in a layout -- available no matter which record in the layout is displaying? Would globals be involved?

The portal-ed table would have at most a few hundred records.

Obviously the portal would have a scroll bar.

It would be OK for the portal to appear anywhere in the layout, for example, the footer.

• 1. Re: most "effecient" way to make an entire table as portal in a layout?
          philmodjunk

If you are using a fairly recent release of FMP and you truly want your user to scroll through several hundred portal records, try using a relationship using the cross product ("X" ) type of relationship. If you are using an earlier release, You can define a calcfield in both tables that returns the same value (Traditionally, we used the constant '1') and use them to create a relationship between the two tables.

Either approach allows your portal to display all the records from the portal's table no matter what record is current in your main table.

Personally, if I had several hundred records to display in a portal, I'd try to organize the records into subcategories and use a valuelist formatted field as part of the portal relationship so the user can work with smaller groups of records at one time.

Example: List several hundred U. S. cities in your table, but identify which state they belong to in a second field. Then set up the portal so the user can select All, California, Arizona,.... as a way to view and work with a smaller number of records at one time.

• 2. Re: most "effecient" way to make an entire table as portal in a layout?
            DonorTracker

Thanks! I'm using FileMakerPro 10 Advanced.

I'll see if I can figure out a way to organize into sub-categories. Unfortunately reality is messier than database keys.

• 3. Re: most "effecient" way to make an entire table as portal in a layout?
              philmodjunk

DonorTracker wrote:

Unfortunately reality is messier than database keys.

Too too too true.