12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 12:16 PM by JoshO.

mouse scroll wheel

Karnel

Title

mouse scroll wheel

I have a layout that does not fit on the screen and you have to scroll down the page to see all of the fields.  Is there anyway to have the mouse wheel scroll down the page instead of scrolling to the next record when I'm browse mode.  I'm working in versions 9 and 10. 

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: mouse scroll wheel
          TSGal

Karnel:

Thank you for your post.

With FileMaker Pro 10 on Mac OS X 10.5.8, if my mouse is pointing to the layout, I am able to use the mouse wheel to scroll down the layout.  If my mouse is in the Status area, the mouse wheel scrolls between records.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: mouse scroll wheel
            Karnel

TSGal,

Thanks for the quick reponse.  I see it works when I'm on a MAC.  I'm guessing the Windows environment handles it differently?  I can only get it to scroll through records on my Windows pc.  The database I'm designing is for Window users.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: mouse scroll wheel
              TSGal

Karnel:

Yes, Windows environment handles this differently.  It will only scroll the records (if the cursor is not active in a field).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: mouse scroll wheel
                Karnel
                   Thanks for the info!!!!
                • 5. Re: mouse scroll wheel
                  cjcj01

Why? I mean why oh why does it handle it differently?  

Why not the same?  Users are so accustomed to scrolling down a page with their scroll wheel - it makes no sense to scroll through records when you have a page of data showing.  Why can't the scroll wheel work just the same as it would in Word, IE, Firefox, Excel... all the other programs.  Why make it both different to the Mac version and different to the user's experience on any other program on their system?

It doesn't make sense and is extremely frustrating to have users who access the same database on both a Mac and Windows and a completely different user experience on both.

Why? why? why? come on guys... why? 

• 6. Re: mouse scroll wheel
                    TSGal

cjcj01:

Thank you for your post.

I have forwarded your comments to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments so they can review the information.  However, I would encourage you to enter this information into our Feature Suggestion web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: mouse scroll wheel
                      cjcj01

Hi TSGal,

Just wanted to say thank you for responding to my message! Can't say how much it means to have a representative of the Company online and active in the support forum responding to people's messages.

I'll head on over to the feature request page.

Thanks for the link ; )

Chris 

• 8. Re: mouse scroll wheel
                        hawkesnest

Another thing I have noticed about this same issue where the mouse wheel is scrolling through records instead of scrolling the window up and down the page, on a PC (windows XP), is when using a laptop with both a touch pad and a mouse with a wheel, the mouse wheel functions as described above, but the touch pad (right side of the pad scrolling function) works as expected and scrolls the page up and down in unison instead of going to the next or previous records like the wheel does.

As a user of windows XP and of a FileMaker database created by someone else, I find this mouse wheel scrolling through the next and previous records (instead of scrolling the page up and down in unison) highly annoying because it is a direct conflict of mouse wheel usage in comparison to all of the other windows programs we use. There should at least be a user preference option to switch between the way the mouse wheel behaves, scroll the page up and down or scroll through records.

Another related problem is if you use the mouse pointer to click and drag the scroll bar on the right side of the page, the page does not move until you let go of the left mouse button. But when using the touch pad scrolling function to scroll the page up and down, the page scrolls in unison with the movement of your finger on the touch pad as one would expect like most all other windows programs do. It would be nice if the page moved in unison with the mouse pointer too like most other windows programs do now. For example this edit box that I'm typing in now has a scroll bar on the right side that I can click and drag with the mouse pointer and causes this box to move in unison with the dragging of the scroll bar. That's the way users expect it to be now days.

• 9. Re: mouse scroll wheel
                          Shedahl

I appreciated reading this thread, since I had the same question (yes, I'll add my two-cents via the link that was suggested, too).  I'm working on a Windows laptop, but have always used a wireless mouse when working on FileMaker, so I hadn't discovered that the touch-pad would work differently.  I've been working on something where I was having to go through my whole database to check something on each individual ID# page, and growing more and more frustrated that whenever I clicked "next" (upper/left), then I had to go over to the scroll bar (bottom/right), and drag it back up to the top of the page.

I'm a newbie to this Forum, and just a few weeks into learning FMP10.  This is my first post, but not the last, no doubt.  I got on the Forum tonight to search for a solution to this specific issue, after spending way too much time already in the Help files on such a piddly complaint.  I thought that there must be a solution, like being able to add a scroll bar to the Body of a page layout ... something!  Oh, well (sigh).

I've got nothing of value to add to this thread ... just wanted to introduce myself, and say "Me too!".     

• 10. Re: mouse scroll wheel
                            hawkesnest

For the database that I'm a user of with windows XP, I just found a decent workaround for the mouse wheel problem of scrolling through records instead of preferably up and down the page. I"m surprised that I didn't figure this out sooner with all of the testing of the different views I've experimented with. Any way with either the Main Menu or Detailed View being displayed and a few others, it was annoying that the mouse wheel didn't scroll the page up and down. Of course all this time the Main Menu and Detailed View were in the Form View: mode. By simply using the List View: mode (a choice of three View As: buttons toward the top left of the database I'm using) while viewing the Main Menu and the Detailed View and a few others, the mouse wheel now scrolls the page up and down. How nice, that just makes my day. The only small draw back is that part of the screen real-estate is used up by some blue area at the bottom, but that's okay, I would rather be able to scroll the page up and down.

Edit: to add some text formatting.

• 11. Re: mouse scroll wheel
                              SunshineHill

I'm on a pc and I can scroll down through one record but I am in list view instead of form view.  I can still do data entry and the form looks exactly the same to me.  Hope that helps some of you.

• 12. Re: mouse scroll wheel
                                JoshO.

The only way to stop it from happening in form view on Windows is to Hide and Lock the status area.  Then the records do not scroll.

Or there are a few programs out there that hijack the normal function of different actions.  I've tested a few of them.  Some are ok, some are not.