5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 12:39 PM by philmodjunk

Move fields from a Tab to a Table

tays01s

Title

Move fields from a Tab to a Table

I belatedly realised that some fields on 'tab2' need to be related in a 1 to many relationship to fields on 'tab1'. Can I move the fields on 'tab2' to different table without losing their links to 'tab1'?

Or, is there a neater method of achieving the same end?

• 1. Re: Move fields from a Tab to a Table
          philmodjunk

Not sure what you mean by "links to tab1".

You can copy and paste field definitions from one table to another if you have FileMaker Advanced. With FileMaker Pro, you can use import table with the New option for the target table and duplicate your entire table, then you can delete the other fields to keep just those from your "tab 2".

But you would need to define a relationship to match those records back to the original table where you originally defined them.

Why do you need to do this?

• 2. Re: Move fields from a Tab to a Table
            tays01s

Sorry, by links I meant there are calc fields in Tab1 that rely on fields in Tab2. The situation is that I belatedly realised that a record on Tab2 will relate to multiple records on Tab1. Hence I should move Tab2 fields to a new Table/layout and relate them from there to Tab1.

So can I move, rather than copy, the fields from Tab2 to another table, without losing the calc connections? I do have FMP advanced.

• 3. Re: Move fields from a Tab to a Table
              philmodjunk

You would need to update your calculations to refer to the new fields in the related table manually.

• 4. Re: Move fields from a Tab to a Table
                tays01s

But the copy/paste won't move the field from one table to another? ie. I might as well just do new fields and copy in the calcs?

• 5. Re: Move fields from a Tab to a Table
                  philmodjunk

Copy and paste will move the field definitions, but this does nothing to the calculation fields in the original table that now need to refer to fields in the new table instead of the old.