5 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 10:57 AM by TSGal

moving a database from version 8.5 to version 10.0

torch_55_1

Title

moving a database from version 8.5 to version 10.0

I have a database in FileMaker 8.5. I would like to move it to version 10.0 to have the new functionality. What is the easiest way to do this? I am thinking that I could use a starter solution and modify it to work the way I would like and modify the existing tables to have the field names/types that are in my database table. Then import the version 8.5 data tables to the new 10.0 database file. Is there an easier way? The current database was created by modifying a starter solution to track project information. The only part of the database that is a little tricky is that it has a routine to generate input dependent drop-down lists depending on the what topic is picked in the first input field. 

• 1. Re: moving a database from version 8.5 to version 10.0
          davidhead
             It is simple - take your existing database and open it using FileMaker Pro 10. All done! ;)
          • 2. Re: moving a database from version 8.5 to version 10.0
            torch_55_1
               David, Thanks for the response. What I am trying to do is to get my database into a version 10.0 file and then be able to use some of the new forms and layouts that use the new functionality of version 10.0 instead of my old version 8.5 layouts. Just wondering if there is an easy way to use a version 10.0 starter solution rather than creating new layouts in mu database after opening it in version 10.0.
            • 3. Re: moving a database from version 8.5 to version 10.0
              TSGal

torch_55:

Thank you for your posts.

The file format for FileMaker Pro 7, 8, 8.5, 9 and 10 are EXACTLY the same.  Therefore, the answer by "uLearnIT" is correct (Thank you!).  Open your FileMaker Pro 8.5 file in FileMaker Pro 10.  You do not need to change anything.

You can then modify your layouts, or start adding some of the new features available in FileMaker Pro 10.

The starter solutions are basic files, and I believe would add more time to your development as you try to adjust those files to your solutions, rather than adjust your solutions to take advantage of FileMaker Pro 10 features.

If there is something that you are having difficulty trying to accomplish with FileMaker Pro 10, please let us know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: moving a database from version 8.5 to version 10.0
                torch_55_1

TSGal,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that the standard templates are not all that complicated and that it would be just as easy to learn the new features in 10. But how about if I wanted to adapt one of the new Business Productivity Packs to use with my database tables? That is a lot more involved and it might be easier to change some of the field names, etc. in the Business Pack than rewrite the whole thing form scratch. What do you recommend in that case?

Thanks in advance for your help.

torch_55 

• 5. Re: moving a database from version 8.5 to version 10.0
                  TSGal

torch_55:

Sure.  If the Business Productivity Packs is close to what you want to accomplish, then by all means, use them and modify them.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.