5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 2:13 PM by philmodjunk

Moving a record into another layout.

WillRetherford

Title

Moving a record into another layout.

Can someone walk me through the steps of moving a record to another layout with an easy click of a button?

I am looking for something like a drop down list and which ever value I select it moves that record into that particular layout.

• 1. Re: Moving a record into another layout.
          philmodjunk

Well you don't move a record from "one layout to another". Every layout in your database refers to a specific table by selecting a table occurrence in Layout Setup...| Show Records from and through that table occurrence (a "table occurrence is what we call each box found in Manage | Database | Relationships), it can refer to records in related tables.

Many layouts can refer to the same table. If they specify the same table occurrence, (More than one table occurrence can refer to the same table), they will have the same found set, current record and sort order. Find a record on one layout and the other layout updates automatically to show the same record.

So, I suggest you describe what you want to do in more detail. It's very possible that you won't need to move a record at all.

• 2. Re: Moving a record into another layout.
            WillRetherford

Yes I appologize for not being clear.

I meant move a record from one table to the other.

• 3. Re: Moving a record into another layout.
              philmodjunk

I still need to know what you are trying to do in much more detail. Much of the time, moving a record from one table--which can be done several different ways, is not the optimum way to get the results that you want as it produces duplicate data in your database.

• 4. Re: Moving a record into another layout.
                WillRetherford

I want to turn a prospect into a client with a click of a button. 

I have a separate table and layout for prospects and a separate table and layout for clients. When that prospect becomes a client, I want a sales rep on the field to be able to check a box or select an option and move that record into the client table. 

Does that make sense?

• 5. Re: Moving a record into another layout.
                  philmodjunk

I recommend that you keep prospects and clients in the same table. Change the value of a field to change them from a prospect to a client. This can be as simple as clicking a radio button in a field formatted with a two value value list.

Finds, relationships, portal filters can all make it possible to work with just prospects or just clients.