AnsweredAssumed Answered

Moving core, and all helpful reading

Question asked by ChrisJohnston on Nov 21, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 21, 2013 by ChrisJohnston

Title

Moving core, and all helpful reading

I broke this in to its own topic because the way FileMake displays long threads displays makes it difficult to for me to follow and load it because it always jumps back to first post. The original was Encapsulation and Breadcrumbs

Another FileMaker user told me this

"A join table is required only if the relationship is a many-to-many.- meaning that a topic can have many children AND many parents. If that's not true in your situation (and I think that is what you are saying), then the join table is doing nothing except complicate things. You should link a child topic directly to its parent (or root) in a self-join:

Topics::TopicID = ChildTopics::ParentID"

Is this the same thing you were saying? This

Information-----<Information_Topic>-----Topics------<Topic_SubTopic>--------SubTopics

TO's in green all have the same data source table, Topics. TO's in Blue all have the same join table as a data source table.

Now brace yourself. I've been rethinking this a bit and there's a design option that just can't be ignored here. If you want to lock this basic structure down into only a tree structure, no "webs" permitted, you could simplify the relationships down to three TO's and only one date source table:

Information-----<Topics------<SubTopics

Information::__pkTopicID = Topics::_fkParentTopicID

Topics::__pkTopicID = SubTopics::_fkParentTopicID

The key difference, besides being MUCH simpler, is that with this structure, a given record can only link to a single Parent Topic. The original design allows for the possibility that a given topic could be linked to two records at the "information" level.

This will mean revamping the relationship structure lot but if better I will change to it immediately. I will not hardly any work except, maintanance because every we our happy with our UI and features. Will I be able to have unlimited Subtopics with this setup?                

Also I don't know if this needs its own topic but If you say yes I can start one, but do have a listing of the links to all your reading like your Tutorial on Table Occurrences?

this one

Outcomes