AnsweredAssumed Answered

Moving database from local machine to server

Question asked by deathrobot on Feb 23, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 by philmodjunk

Title

Moving database from local machine to server

I am nearing completion of a long-term database build, and first wanted to say thanks to PhilModJunk and the others on this valuable forum. I have asked nearly 70 questions, each of them answered quickly and thoughtfully. Thank you!

The database has thus far been only used on a single machine. In the next few days, I will be moving it over to a Mac Mini running Filemaker Server 13. Is there anything I should watch out for when making the move? Some questions I can think of:

1) Do all fonts used need to reside on the server machine, or is being on the user machines enough?
2) Do third party plug-ins run on the server or the client machines?
3) I have several PDF creation scripts. They get written to Get(TemporaryPath), which I assume will still work fine, but also to the user’s desktop. I believe Get(DesktopPath) refers to the user’s desktop, so this should still work fine. Is that correct?
4) PDFs are currently being stored in the database, but I would like them to be referenced once the database is on the server. Is that a simple matter of turning on “Store container data externally” in the container field options dialog?

Anything else to be aware of?

Thanks,
Michael

Outcomes