3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2013 11:59 AM by LonnB

Moving down a column

LonnB

Title

Moving down a column

I recently upgraded from Filemaker 5.0 to 12! There are a lot of differences between the two. The one thing I have not found an answer to is simple navigation. When in a list format,  is it possible to use the enter/return key to move down a column? I can set it up to go to the next cell in a row (along with the tab key) but it would be helpful to be able to navigate down a column. Anyone know how? 

thanks

LonnB

Using a macbook Pro  2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB DDR3 and OSX 10.7.5

• 1. Re: Moving down a column
          philmodjunk

Take a look at the OnObjectKeystroke Script trigger. You can set it on a field so that a script is performed with each keystroke. The script can then detetect when enter or return is pressed and perform a script that takes you to the same field, but in the next record. If you are using table view, make sure that the field is present on the layout when you view it in layout mode or you won't be able to set it up with a script trigger.

• 2. Re: Moving down a column
            Jade

In Table view: control-down-arrow (ctrl-↓).

If that doesn't work, change the System Preferences:Keyboard:Keyboard Shortcuts:Mission Control to f9 instead of control-down-arrow

• 3. Re: Moving down a column
              LonnB

Thanks for the info. control-arrow-down does work,  but I will try the script thing too. I have yet to try to write a script and last time I looked was a bit intimidated. But it would be good to learn

thanks!