4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 7:30 AM by abitech

moving field content

abitech

Title

moving field content

Hello,

I would like to create a script that moves the content of 4 fields (i.e.: fields a, b,c,d) of the current record into another field (e), separated by a space or new paragraph. For example:

a = name

b = surname

c= age

and after using the script: 

e = name surname age

...or:

e =

name

surname

Does anyone know how to do this?

abitech

• 1. Re: moving field content
          LaRetta_1

You haven't indicated what you need to do with this new field information but a scrript isn't necessary.  Create a calculation (result is TEXT) with:

NameField & " " & SurNameField & " " & AgeField

... it is known as concatenation (combining several fields together with a space between.  If you want the calculation to be a multiline, it would be:

NameField & ¶ & SurNameField & ¶ & AgeField

UPDATE: depending upon why you need this information, you might always want to consider using a merge field which would look something like:

<<NameField>> <<SurNameField>> <<AgeField>>  (there is a space manually placed between each inserted merge field.

• 2. Re: moving field content
            abitech
               I have to add this information to an existing container field that already contains some text. The idea would be to activate the script using a button, so that when the information in the fields becomes outdated, it can be manually moved to that other field that is some kind of a log.
            • 3. Re: moving field content
              LaRetta_1

Why are you using a container field to hold any old data?  I suggest you use a regular text field so it can be easily searched if you want to find an old entry.

Here is an example of adding a line to an audit log text field called AuditLog (placing the most recent at the top).  It includes the current date but you can omit that if you wish:

Get ( CurrentDate ) & ": " & NameField & " " & SurNameField & " " & AgeField & ¶ & AuditLog

... when you click the button, the latest entry will appear at the top.

• 4. Re: moving field content
                abitech

Sorry, I actually realized it is already a text field.

The first solution works very well, I only added the name of the target field to the calculation so that it adds it all up to the existing text, like this:

TargetField & " " & NameField & " " & SurNameField & " " & AgeField

The audit log idea might also turn useful. Thanks a lot for your help!

abitech