2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2015 10:31 AM by LisaPark

Moving fields from one table to another

LisaPark

Title

Moving fields from one table to another

This is my first post so please be patient with me.

I've inherited management of a database.  We use Filemaker Pro 12 and we are a medical clinic.  Basically the way it is set up is that each patient is a separate record.  There are several different tables related to the patient's demographics and data.  We enter information from several different tests in different but related departments (hearing, surgery, speech, financial, etc).  All are linked back to the patient data table.  Looks like this:

The problem is that when our database was first created, the doctor who put it together put several tests in the wrong spot.  There are fields for speech tests within the hearing test table.  He created a "work around" that never really worked and now that it's in my lap, I intend to fix it.  We enter test results based on date.  In our layout all the speech tests are in one tab and audiology tests are in another.  When we add a new test date, if the clinician performed two tests, one that had fields correctly housed in the speech table and another in the audiology table, results for one of the tests does not get recorded.  I think that my solution is in moving the fields and importing the data for the speech tests that are in the hearing test table into the speech test table, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that.  Am I on the right track?  If so how can I make that happen or how can I fix this problem.

Thank you!

Lisa

• 1. Re: Moving fields from one table to another
          philmodjunk

It would help to upgrade to FileMaker Advanced. You could then copy a field while in Manage | database | Fields, change tables by selecting a different one from the drop down and then click paste to paste the field definition thus copied into the other table. This would quickly and exactly replicate both the field name and the field options. Without Advanced, you'll have to do much of this manually while carefully comparing all field and storage options to make sure that they match. You will be able to copy and paste field names and any calculation expressions in calculation field and auto-enter calculations.

To move your data, you'll need to use Import records very carefully. The good news is that your database tables all have a foreign key field matching back to "identifier" on your Patients table. So you should be able to go to a layout based on the table with the wrong fields, perform a find to pull up a found set of just the records that have data you need to copy over to the other table. Then change to a layout based on the other table and use Import records to import the data, being careful to match the right fields up for the import.

It would be a very good idea to make a back up copy just prior to attempting this import so that if you make a mistake, you have the option of discarding the current file and reverting to the back up copy.

• 2. Re: Moving fields from one table to another
            LisaPark

Thanks for your help.  An upgrade wasn't in the financial cards, so I had to do it manually.  I made backups just in case, but everything seems to have worked out just fine.  Thanks again!