2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 6:51 AM by Sorbsbuster

Moving fields from one table to another table in the same database

JeromeSkrdla

Title

Moving fields from one table to another table in the same database

I have created a database (student Information) with approximately 100 fields.  I then created a new layout (Performance Levels) and added another 80 fields.  I also added a third layout (Goals) and added another 100 fields to this layout.  I then went to Manage the database to create relationships in the tables.  My first table (Student Information) shows it has 280 fields, my second table (Performance Levels) has 0 fields, my third table (Goals) also has 0 fields.  Is there a way to move some of the fields from the student Information table to the Performance Levels table and to the Goals tables? 

FMP_tables.png

• 1. Re: Moving fields from one table to another table in the same database
          philmodjunk

If you have FileMaker Advanced, you can copy and paste field definitions from one table to another on the Fields Tab of Manage | Database

If you do not, you might try this trick:

1. Return to your layouts.
          2. Select Import Records from the File Menu
          3. Select the file that you have open as the source file.
          4. Select Student_Info as the source table.
          5. Select "New Table" as the target table.
          6. Import the data and table.
          7. This will create a new copy of the Student_Info table.
          8. Now return to the above location, Manage | Database | tables
          9. Delete the old Present_Level table.
          10. Rename the newly imported table to be Present_Level
          11. Click on the fields tab and delete all fields from the new Present_Level table that you do not want in that table. (You can shift click to select blocks of fields to delete all in one delete operation.)
          12. Now either create a brand new layout for this new table or go to your original Present_Level layout and use Layout Setup to point it at the new table and then, while in layout mode, double click each field on the layout to select the corresponding field from the new table.
          • 2. Re: Moving fields from one table to another table in the same database
            Sorbsbuster

BTW: the mistake you made was that you created your first batch of fields, then created another layout, and starting creating more fields.  The layout does not determine where the fields will be created.  You have to go into Manage Database (as in your screenshot) and change the table there.

If you clicked the 'Fields' tab in your screen shot you will create and edit fields in the Student Info table - no matter what layout the database is on.  If you clicked on 'Medicaid' and then the 'fields' tab you would create or amend fields in the Medicaid Table.