5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2009 10:10 AM by adario

Moving fields to a new table

adario

Title

Moving fields to a new table

Hi All,

We created a table a while ago and now find it better to create several tables out of this one large table.

Is there a way, in FM9, to move several fields (and the exisiting data) into a new table in the same database without using 3rd party software?

Thanks much

Amy

• 1. Re: Moving fields to a new table
          raybaudi

Yes.

Start to create those new tables using for field's name the same names of the original table.
          Show all record of the original table.
          After that, from a layout of the new table, do an import by mathing names.

That procedure can be even simpler if you have the Advanced version of FileMaker.

• 2. Re: Moving fields to a new table
            philmodjunk

You can also make a copy of your file, then import the table from the copied file into a new table. Then use manage database/Fields to delete all the fields you don't want while keeping the ones that you do. This pulls in the field definitions and the data in one step.

Regardless of whether you use Raybaudi's approach or mine, be careful to locate and fix all field references to the fields you are "moving". They'll all need to be manually switched to refer to the new fields. These fields can be found in scripts, relationships, field calculations, layouts and/or value list definitions.

Since I have a copy of FMP 10adv, I like to go to the table that still holds the original copis of the fields I moved and change their names to something unique by adding several x's to the file name. I then generate a Database Design Report (and advanced feature) and search for all references to these names with the x's. I can then be sure that I've found and changed them all.

Then I save a copy of the file just to be safe before deleting these no longer needed field definitions. Finally I make one more DDR and search for "Missing" just to make sure I didn't miss one.

• 3. Re: Moving fields to a new table
              raybaudi

PhilModJunk wrote:

You can also make a copy of your file, then import the table from the copied file into a new table.

May be I'm wrong but this way can be made only with the Advanced.

• 4. Re: Moving fields to a new table
                philmodjunk
                   Before we purchased FMP10 adv, I downloaded a trial copy of 10 and found that I could do this. I can't speak for 9 as I have never used it. (I made the jump from 5.5 to 10 :smileysurprised: ) Select Import Records from the file menu and see if "new table" is an option in the target menu.
                • 5. Re: Moving fields to a new table
                  adario

WOW!  THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

I'm going to experiment with all of the options

THANK YOU

Amy