5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 3:14 PM by TSGal

moving file maker pro from an old pc laptop to a mac

highspirit

Title

moving file maker pro from an old pc laptop to a mac

I need to move my filemaker 10 pro to my new imac from an old windows laptop.I have the licence key but don't know what will happen if I download filemaker 10 afresh onto the imac will I be given the option to activate it with the existing licence key.I have already deactivated it on the old windows laptop.

• 1. Re: moving file maker pro from an old pc laptop to a mac
          TSGal

highspirit:

Thank you for your post.

If you download FileMaker Pro 10 onto your iMac, you can definitely use the License Key from your old Windows laptop.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: moving file maker pro from an old pc laptop to a mac
            David40

Similar to the original question, I have FMP 9.0 on my PC.  I plan to move to a MAC this Summer.  I am very happy with 9.0 and have no immediate plans to upgrade to 10.0.  I have the installation disc and key.  Can I just load it on my new MAC?  Will my existing programs on the PC work the MAC?

Thanks in advance!

• 3. Re: moving file maker pro from an old pc laptop to a mac
              TSGal

David40:

Yes, with each copy of FileMaker Pro 9, you have two activations, so you can have FileMaker Pro on your Windows machine as well as FileMaker Pro on your Mac.  In addition, all database files are cross-platform.  That is, whatever works on your Windows machine will also work on your Mac.

If you no longer plan to use FileMaker Pro on your Windows machine, uninstall it so you increase your activation counter.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: moving file maker pro from an old pc laptop to a mac
                fcarey
                   I have installed the same license for FMPro10 Advanced on my PC and on my Mac laptop since I often work from home. Occassionally, they conflict at work when I have mistakenly left FMPro running on my Mac. I simply shut down FMPro on my Mac and the problem goes away. Recently however, this does not work. Both my PC and my Mac versions report a license conflict. So, to stop the conflict, I uninstalled FMPro from my Mac and installed a standard FMPro client version (we have multi-license) but the conflict continues on my PC. I checked my Mac and removed the MacPro10 Adv prefs from the library. I uninstalled MacPro10 Adv from my PC and reinstalled it and registered it. Still the conflict continues. Sometimes the conflicting IP address is from my Mac's address when using it from home on my broadband service. I unplug my Mac from the network and then another IP address is reported as the conflicting address (a subnet range that isAn different than those at work or home). To my knowledge, no one has this license but me. I have read that I should "unregister" my PC version from the Help menu. However, I do not see a such an option in the menu. Customer Service wants to charge me to solve it. Any suggestions before I turn to them?
                • 5. Re: moving file maker pro from an old pc laptop to a mac
                  TSGal

FrankC:

Thank you for your post.

When you launch FileMaker Pro, it takes the License Key and looks across the network to see if that License Key is in use.  If so, an error message is displayed.  If it doesn't find the License Key, then it makes that License Key available on the network to keep others from using the same key.  When you quit FileMaker Pro, it then releases that License Key from the network, but it may take a few seconds to a few minutes for the network to release the License Key.  That is why you may see the License Key still active after you quit FileMaker Pro.  The best thing to do is wait a few minutes before trying again.  If the problem still doesn't go away, restart the computer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.