1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2014 7:10 AM by philmodjunk

moving from Filemaker pro 9 advanced to Filemaker pro 13

RichardWood

Title

moving from Filemaker pro 9 advanced to Filemaker pro 13

I want to be able to move my "Filemaker pro 9 advanced" files to my new Macbook Pro which will have "Filemaker pro 13" (not advanced). Will I lose anything by not having advanced? All of my files are simple text and container files (text and images). I never did anything fancy with filemaker. Thanks.

• 1. Re: moving from Filemaker pro 9 advanced to Filemaker pro 13
          philmodjunk

You should be able to just launch FileMaker Pro 13, pull down the File menu and use Open to open your .fp7 format (FMP Pro 9) files.

FileMaker will create a new copy of your files converted to the new file format while leaving your original files unchanged. You should always examine and test files created by such a conversion for issues, but my experience and that reported by others suggests that you are unlikely to have any major issues with the file.

FileMaker Advanced is well worth the added cost for anyone doing more than very, very simple database design as its added developer tools can save you literally hours of time and also provide you with a much clearer understanding of how your database functions, but it's not needed just to convert your existing files over to the new format.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking