9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2012 1:36 PM by Sorbsbuster

Moving records

PhoenixRogers

Title

Moving records

I am running FMP 10.0 on a Powerbook G4 - os 10.5 +

Single user and my experience is minimal. We have used FMP for many years but at the simplest of function. Mostly invoices.

On a friends computer is where this problem exists. We have always seperated files for each client. However we are helping this person clean up a mess. Hense the question...

Scenario: I have a file with several records each addresing a different client. I want to create separate files for each. Is there a way to take ONE record ( 1 client record ) from a file of 6 and move it into a new file? Or? create a new file from a single record?  Thanks to forum

Phoenix

• 1. Re: Moving records
          davidanders

Please Help Us to Help You...
               Please Help Us to Help You...

• 2. Re: Moving records
            PhoenixRogers

Also it seems that regardless of "systems etc" the question of is it even possible stands. Thanks all!

P.

• 3. Re: Moving records
              schamblee

Yes it is possible to move 1 record to a file, but why would you want to.  Defeats the purpose of a database.  With all record in one file then filemaker or any databases for that matter can track all the information for all clients and would be better organized.   It sound like your databases is not properly designed.   Having several files would not make thing better for  your friend.  A properly designed databases would.  There are starter solutions that you can use or modify.  

• 4. Re: Moving records
                PhoenixRogers

Let me clarify my question. Of course all records in one file.  If for some strange reason someone "mixed" records in a file and then wanted to extract that record, can that be done? Either by extraction or using the record to "create" a new file.

• 5. Re: Moving records
                  Sorbsbuster

To repeat the question: why do you want to create a second filr, never mind many files?  When you say the problem is that the records are 'mixed', do you mean you have a file with say 50 records in it, for various customers, and you would like to see only the records for one customer, say, or one month?

• 6. Re: Moving records
                    PhoenixRogers

Yes, various customers records in a single file which never should have happened. Simply looking for an easer way to separate the individual records into individual files than re creating them one by one. Hence the question, is it possible to extract a record in its entirety from an existing file and place it in a New file.

Thanks for the patience...

• 7. Re: Moving records
                      Sorbsbuster

I think we are all collectively amazed that you want to have one file per customer, and not have all the customer records together in the one file, but you seem determined.

To fulfil what you want, open the file with the 'mixed' records.  Do a Find to isolate the record(s) you want to extract to the new file.  Open the new file and navigate to a layout based on the table you want to import to (the same table as you found the record(s) in in the other file).   Choose 'Import records' from the file menu.  Navigate to the source file.  Choose 'Match field names', 'Add records', and import.

• 8. Re: Moving records
                        PhoenixRogers

I would be as well. However let me reduce some of the amazment. Of course eache client will have there own file with ever growing records for each project done for them. That is how we have had our FM for almost 15 years. The issue is on a friends computer. I simply have never met this problem before. Seems so to you guys as well.

Thanks again. Your last post seems like it will work. Ill report back...

P.

• 9. Re: Moving records
                          Sorbsbuster

Maybe there is something you aren't revealing about the way you use the file.  But:

"Of course each client will have there own file with ever growing records for each project done for them." doesn't fit with the 'Of course' for me.  I would be thinking "Of course every client will be in the one file with ever growing records for each project done for them."

"I simply have never met this problem before. Seems so to you guys as well."  Actually, I'm very unclear as to what the 'problem' is, so I can't be sure that I've never met it before.