5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2009 8:24 AM by philmodjunk

MP3 and video database fot Pro use   --- URGENT !!!

richardparis

Title

MP3 and video database fot Pro use   --- URGENT !!!

Hello I need some help & advise

I need to create a database for professional use for MP3 and Videoclips MP2 & MP4.

All the file names are created like this

A000000-ARTIST - TITLE.mp3

For legal uses with the recordcompanys we need to create a good, in  text file, exportable  database.

It's needs to do the following: when I create a file of an mp3 in the database, it changes the file number wich is now A000000 in a number of the datebase file, in every file of a song I need to save the following information: Artist, Title, composer, year of release, Record Company, ISRC number, popularity, language, and I need to link it to 5 different categories of music types (Rap, rock , pop, classic, etc.....)

Is it possible to do in Filemaker ?????

I've been looking for days on the net and I stil haven't found what i'm looking for, hopefully Filemaker Pro is what I need.

When there is somebody who can create a good working program template I'm willing to pay for it !!!

URGENT !!!

• 1. Re: MP3 and video database fot Pro use   --- URGENT !!!
          TSGal

richardparis:

Thank you for your post.

Your example is a little confusing, but it appears that FileMaker Pro can accomplish what you want.

You can create fields as follows:

Artist

Title

Compuser

Year of Release

Record Company

ISRC Number

Popularity

Language

Category (which you can set up to be a drop down list with the five different categories).

I'm not sure what you want to do with the "A000000" information.  If you are looking for a way to increment (A000001, A000002, etc.), this can be accomplished using FileMaker Pro.

If you have a specific example, I'd be happy to help you further.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: MP3 and video database fot Pro use   --- URGENT !!!
            richardparis

Hello, thanks for your quick reply and sorry for my late one !!

Ok I'll try to be more clear althoufgt itsn't easy for me to explain, but I'll do my best !! 

I have more than 100.000 mp3 files to categorise, and I need to find them back easy by keywords.

I'll make all the files like this:

Artist - Title=A000000000X.mp3

so I have:

Britney Spears - Circus=A000000000X.mp3

Barry White - My Love=A00000000X.mp3

ABBA - Mamma Mia=A000000000X.mp3

etc, etc

All my songs are ripped like this.

The A00000000X is a unique ID number for each mp3, so every song get's his own ID number.

Is it possible that Filemaker Pro changes the A000000000X for a new file ID number ??

In my database file I need to say:

Artist

Title

Composer

Year of Release

Record Company

ISRC Number

Popularity

Language

Category (more categories need to be possible,) In total I have 56 categories, so far.

Alias

etc..

I have special created software to play MP3 and videoclips, so if i click ont the categorie Rock, it's plays Rock, and If I want Jazz it plays the Jazz files.

I hope me request is more clearly.

I'm an expert in audio-visuel equipement and music management, and now I work to much "old school" so I really need to get my songs recategorised with a database. But I don't have any database skills to create such a file.

I hope you can help me better now with this info.

Regards,

Richard

ru@avecom.fr

• 3. Re: MP3 and video database fot Pro use   --- URGENT !!!
              TSGal

richardparis:

Thank you for the clarification.  Yes, this does help make things clearer.

Yes, FileMaker Pro can assign a unique ID number to each record.  When you define the ID field, click "Options..." and a number of options are presented to you.  Click on the "Auto-Enter" tab (if not already selected) and check the option "Serial number".  Leave it set to Generate "on creation" and set the "next value" to A0000000001, and "increment by" 1. Click OK.

Now, whenever you add a new record, a new ID number is created.

This should get you pointed in the right direction.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: MP3 and video database fot Pro use   --- URGENT !!!
                richardparis

OK Great,

My software programmer told me that the software we use probably can't communicate with with filemaker Pro,

He wants an MS Acces database ?? I didn't really understand why. So is it possible to export the database into another format, just to make it communicate with our software on our machines ?

Regards,

Richard

• 5. Re: MP3 and video database fot Pro use   --- URGENT !!!
                  philmodjunk

Both Filemaker and MS Access can export to and import from tab separated (.tab), comma separated (.csv) and excel (.xls) files. You should be able to move data from one to the other fairly easily.

"My software programmer told me that the software we use probably can't communicate with with filemaker Pro,"

I'd double check that claim carefully. He may or may not know what he's talking about.