2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2015 5:36 AM by RockSure

Multi Conditional ValueList Base on Primary Key

RockSure

Title

One Contact can have many ContactActions and one ActionMktProgram can have Many ContactActions.

I have the following tables and relationships:
      Contact---àContact Action
      ActionMktProgram(PK)----à Contacts Action::_fkActionMktProgram
      ActionMktProgramType(PK)----à Contacts Action:: _fkActionMktProgramType
      ActionMktProgramCampaign(PK)----à Contacts Action::_fkActionMktProgramCampaign

My layout is based on Contact with a portal based on ContactAction I need to progressively  limit the popup selection in Type as a Program is selected and then respectively in Campaign as a Type is selected in the portal.
      I was able to achieve the conditional valuelist as per filemaker help file based on match fields but not PK and FK fields. 

Is using Pk & FK for VL the incorrect approach? I was treating the Program Table as more than just a VL table.

• 1. Re: Multi Conditional ValueList Base on Primary Key
          philmodjunk

PK to FK is the correct approach here. If I understand your description correctly, what you are describing is referred to as a dwindling or diminishing value list where each time you select a value from the list, it is then dropped from the list for subsequent selections. Is this what you had in mind?

If so, such a value list is one of 10 different ways to set up a conditional value list found in:

"Adventures in FileMaking #1 - Conditional Value Lists".

This is a free to download working database file with detailed descriptions and documentation to show you how they work and how to set them up.

• 2. Re: Multi Conditional ValueList Base on Primary Key
            RockSure

Thanks for the Download I will be studying it. 

For some clarity on Valuelist and relationships do the value lists get direct relationship to each other or just remain as 3 one to many relationships to the main table as I currently have.

Example: 4 Tables
            Main Table ContactAction
            VLContactMktProgram
            VLContactProgramType
            VLContactProgramCampaign
            The ContactAction will always have a ContactProgram
            The ContactAction will always have a ContactProgramType
            The ContactAction may or may not have a ContactProgramCampaign

Reports would be based on the ContactAction table 

If they would have to directly relate to each other I would have 4 Many to Many relationships.