1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 5, 2010 6:09 AM by PaulSmith

Multi file / split and related records

PaulSmith

Title

Multi file / split and related records

I have inherited a database in multiple files. For the purposes of allowing better maintenance I have split the data and front end components of each table.

Old structure (where db contains all)

dbOrganisations.fp7

dbPeople.fp7       (people::orgID=org::orgID)

New structure (where db contains data, and fe contains scripts, layouts etc)

dbOrganisation.fp7

dbPeople.fp7       (people::orgID=org::orgID)

feOrganisation.fp7

fePeople.fp7

Life used to be simple as I could simply use Go To Related Record if I wanted to, say, display the organisation record for a person.

So now that I have forms for orgs and people in their respective fe files, and tables in the db files how can I achieve this?

i.e. if I find a person and need to change the address of their respective organisation I need to open feOrganisation with the same found set as in fePerson to display the current person's organisation.

Thanks in advance

Paul

• 1. Re: Multi file / split and related records
          PaulSmith

Alright...worked it out.

I have a script in each "parent" fe file that executes finds based on key data passed as parameters.

In the "child" fe file I execute the "parent" script passing the necessary key.

This works for single records. So now the only issue is "persisting" finds across the schemata. This is a little tricky.