3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 4:40 PM by philmodjunk

Multi-line Textbox

EltonHo

Title

Multi-line Textbox

Hi,

Some questions about the multi-line textbox as below:

1. Would like to display the vertical scrollbar for a multi-line textbox. I found that it works only in browse mode. However, the textbox that I would like to apply is a read-only field, if I check the browse mode option, there are some side-effects, for example, in FileMaker Go under iPad, the keyboard will be automatically come up...

2. How can I adjust the width of the scollbar. By default, it is too small to work with especially when working in iPad.

Pls. kindly advise.

Thanks,

Elton

• 1. Re: Multi-line Textbox
          philmodjunk

Since the field is for read-only purposes, you can define a calculation field that returns the contents of this text field. This calculation field can then be placed on the layout and formatted with the scroll bar.

As far as I know, there is no way to change the width of the scroll bar in current verisions of FileMaker and FileMaker Go.

• 2. Re: Multi-line Textbox
            EltonHo

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Would you elaborate more on Question 1...

Correct me if I am wrong: Do you suggest to use "Edit Box" control to show the calculation. If this is the case, is there any difference to show the textfield directly. Just to make sure that the keyboard will not come up?

Thanks,

Elton

• 3. Re: Multi-line Textbox
              philmodjunk

Note: I don't have FileMaker Go so I can only answer from the perspective of how you would do this in FileMaker Pro.

Yes, specify Edit Box format with the Scroll Bar option enabled. The only difference between doing this with the calculation field and the actual data field is that the calculation field will be read only, where the text field would permit editing the field. You can use behavior settings on the regular text field to make it read only, but then you no longer have a scroll bar as the behavior settings will prevent you from entering the field and this is necessary before the scroll bar appears.