2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2009 2:33 PM by philmodjunk

Multilingual forms?

kopiikat

Title

Multilingual forms?

I'm trying to implement a client registration form that can be both English and Spanish.  The English form is complete.  For the Spanish form, I created a separate layout and changed the labels, but I still need to change the possible field values.

I'm not sure how to do this part.  If I make a totally new lists of available values ("Si" and "No" vs. "Yes" and "No,") how can I have that show the correct translation when I switch to the English form?

Here's another example: One field is ethnicity.  I'd like the Spanish-speaking client to be able to choose "Anglosajon," but I'd like "White" to be shown on the corresponding English form, their profile page, etc.   Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Multilingual forms?
          TSGal

kopiikat:

Thank you for your post.

Once you put a value into a field, FileMaker cannot perform any translation on the field except through a calculation.  You may want to consider two different fields; one for Spanish and one for English.  Each person would enter the information into the appropriate layout, and then you would have a script trigger that would place the translation in the other fields.  For example, on your Spanish layout, the script trigger would evaluate "Si" and "No" (and empty) place either "Yes" or "No" (or empty) in the English field.  When the English person then views the layout, the most up-to-date information will be visible in the correct language.

I know you just used one field, and I assume there may be many other fields that need translation.  However, this may give you a good start.

Please let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Multilingual forms?
            philmodjunk

For simple word/phrase substitution, you may be able to build a table of terms where equivalent terms have some value in common, but are labeled for respective languages.

Your table might look like this:

Key : Term : Language

1    :  Yes  : English

2    :  No    : English

1    :  Si     : Espanol

2    :  No    : Espanol

Now you can set up calculations and other data references that can match terms by key and selected language.