3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 11:13 AM by philmodjunk

Multiple beginner questions

NicolasGaston

Title

Multiple beginner questions

How would one set up a button to go a layout, but have the layout always start over without any fields completed from previous work (i.e. set up the layout structure so that you go to "projects" page > select the project you want > click the form for that project you want to complete and it store the content for that specific path)

Next, is it possible to script a field so that when a form is created on someone behalf it will send an email notiifcation of a new record?

Is there a way to format the table view so that the text will fit into the cell (i.e. the cell height is as large as it needs to be to read all the text)? also to make it fit on an 11x17 landscape?

Also, is it possible to make a field that will calculate a radio buttons selection and organize by an assigned person field. (i.e. i have a rdio button for a subcontractor to select if their work is completed or not... then i want to be able to list out how many items that person has marked "yes" or "no" in a calc function or a seperate report.

any one interested in consulting???

• 1. Re: Multiple beginner questions
          philmodjunk

How would one set up a button to go a layout, but have the layout always start over without any fields completed from previous work (i.e. set up the layout structure so that you go to "projects" page > select the project you want > click the form for that project you want to complete and it store the content for that specific path)

Each Project would be a "record" in a "table" this simply requires creating a new record. You can do so by pressing the keyboard shortcut for a new record, selecting "new record" from your records menu or your button can perform a script that both changes layout and creates a new record.

Next, is it possible to script a field so that when a form is created on someone behalf it will send an email notiifcation of a new record?

Yes, if you have a compatible email client application installed on your computer or if you have an account with an SMTP mail server that you can access. Look up Send Mail in FileMaker help to learn more about this script step.

Is there a way to format the table view so that the text will fit into the cell (i.e. the cell height is as large as it needs to be to read all the text)? also to make it fit on an 11x17 landscape?

If you want the row height to adjust dynamically to the size needed for a given row of data (each row is a record, BTW), then no, this is not possible.

I also recommend learning how to use List View as Table View isn't always the best option for data entry and for printing reports.

Also, is it possible to make a field that will calculate a radio buttons selection and organize by an assigned person field. (i.e. i have a rdio button for a subcontractor to select if their work is completed or not... then i want to be able to list out how many items that person has marked "yes" or "no" in a calc function or a seperate report.

Radio buttons are an available format for a field, but what you describe may be better suited for a single checkbox instead of radio buttons.

• 2. Re: Multiple beginner questions
            NicolasGaston

"Each Project would be a "record" in a "table" this simply requires creating a new record. You can do so by pressing the keyboard shortcut for a new record, selecting "new record" from your records menu or your button can perform a script that both changes layout and creates a new record."

So (excuse my ignorance) can i make a layout into a record because right now i have 3 tables under my data base 1) home page 2) projects 3) rolling completion list. can you ellaborate on the logic or steps to make it so when you start on my hope page layout, click a button it takes you to a projects page with all our compnaies projects, then under each project you click a button for a fresh rolling completion list??

• 3. Re: Multiple beginner questions
              philmodjunk

Layouts are not tables. Tables are not layouts. "making a layout into a record" makes no sense to me.

The first part is simple:

Create a layout for Projects set up as a list view layout. (NOT table view). Design the layout with a narrow body where you arrange the fields from a record into a single row. A button on your homepage simply uses go to layout to change to this layout, which should be set up in list view so you see a table like view of your projects records. You want list view here instead of table view so that you can add a button to the portal row or to set up your fields in the row to function as a button to do the last step: "for a fresh rolling completion list".

What's not clear to me is what you mean by "Fresh" nor what is meant by "Rolling".

You appear to need this relationship:

Projects-----<CompletionList

Projects::__pkProjectID = CompletionList::_fkProjectID

See this thread: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained for an explanation of the notation that I just used.

A button added to your Projects layout can use a Script to check for existing CompletionList records for that project and bring them up on the CompletionList layout or, if none are found, it can create a new record on the same layout.

But I'm not sure that's what you really have in mind here.

Also, a portal to CompletionList on a Projects Layout could well be the best way to work with multiple CompletionList records for a given project.