3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2010 8:46 AM by philmodjunk

multiple check boxes

JessOttman

Title

multiple check boxes

Hi

Is there an easier way to create multiple(6) checkboxes with global fields?

Am using a technique that creates 2 new tables 'check box and global' 2 fields in each. 2 for the graphics and 2 for the calculation.

If there is a different way rather than  creating tables for the amount you need would appreciate it

thanks

• 1. Re: multiple check boxes
          philmodjunk

Can you describe what you are wanting to do in a bit more detail? You don't need any additional tables just to define values for a check box set, though sometimes it's useful to do so.

• 2. Re: multiple check boxes
            philmodjunk

Is there some problem you are solving with the container fields?

If you use a straight checkbox set created via the Inspector, you don't need any container fields for the checkboxes. You simply define a value list for your checkbox set, select a text field and use the Inspector to set it up to use your value list with the checkbox set option instead of edit box. That's much simpler to set up, but maybe there's a reason for the container fields that I'm not seeing such as getting larger check boxes for use with an iPad or iPhone.

• 3. Re: multiple check boxes
              philmodjunk

Some developers use layout text for the "tick" selections instead of container fields. A conditional format expression can be defined to hide/reveal the selected "tick" character. This may be a simpler approach, if it works for you.

"I have it on one column just need to see how to get multiple check boxes that can be added up for a summary."

Do you need a count of the selected checkboxes or does each check box represent a different numerical value that must be summed to produce a total?

One key decision that I can't make for you is whether these selected values should reside in a single record or if you should have a series of (possibly) related records. The best approach depends on what you are trying to do and whether the list of values being totaled will be subject to revision from time to time.

Count ( Field1; field2 ; field3 ) will count the number of nonblank fields within a given record.
              Sum ( Field1 ; Field2 ; Field3 ) will sum the selected values within a given record (and you can also use field1 + field2 + Field3)

If you put each value in a separate record, you can define summary fields that compute the totals or count the selections.

If these are related records listed in a portal, you can use the Sum and Count functions I described earlier, but you would use this syntax:  Count ( portalTableOccurrence::CheckBoxField ) and define the calculation field in your parent record.