1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 22, 2011 1:32 PM by philmodjunk

Multiple Checkbox Entries and Sub-Summary Reports

peakoru

Title

Multiple Checkbox Entries and Sub-Summary Reports

I am trying to set up a report that uses information from a checkbox field as it's Sub-Summary.

I am trying to track auditions and one person can be considered for multiple roles.  So I have set up a 'Consider for' field as a check box field and entered all the possible roles.  easy.  

Now I want my report to show each role and the people being considered for it no matter if they are being considered for other roles, that record should come up under every role that has been checked in the main layout..  What is currently happening is that the database will only show that entry for 1 of the roles that are checked, not all.  I have the report set up and it's working perfectly if the person is only being considered for one role, what do I do about the ones that should repeat?

• 1. Re: Multiple Checkbox Entries and Sub-Summary Reports
          philmodjunk

This issue lies with the fact that A checkbox group enters text into it's field in such a way that each selected checkbox value is entered into the field in the order the boxes were clicked, separated by returns.

Thus one such record might list:

Male Lead
          Sidekick

in that field. Another might list:

Sidekick
          Male Lead

and a third might just have:

Male Lead

You'd need to separate the different values into different records in a related table before you can get the report that you want to see here.

Define a table, RolesConsidered, with these fields:

PlayID, RoleName, PlayerID

Add a relationship:
          Players::PlayerID = RolesConsidered::PlayerID  (enable "allow creation of ..." for RolesConsidered in this relationship)

Now you can add a portal to RolesConsidered on the Players layout and you can select roles in as many rows of the portal as you need. Use the PlayID field to identify the relevant play (or musical or dance or movie or...)

You can then base your report on the RolesConsidered table, but add fields as needed from the Players table and any related "Plays" table to fill in additional info as needed for your report.

1 of 1 people found this helpful