3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 8:21 AM by philmodjunk

Multiple Conditional Value List (11 levels)

LukasP

Title

Multiple Conditional Value List (11 levels)

Hi, I'm looking for a help with multiple conditional value list. I have checked all posts and have found 3 levels conditional value list working fine only. Simply my database will be something like product configurator where each selection is depend from the previous value. Unfortunately I need to have 11 fields to describe my product in assembly mode. I will appreciate any help. Thanks

• 1. Re: Multiple Conditional Value List (11 levels)
          philmodjunk

Extrapolating the "3 level" conditional value list to 11 should work. Whether that's the best option or not, is hard to tell from here. With that many levels you may want to consider other options to use instead of value lists.

You might, for example, adapt a method I've outlined in this link: Clinical Decision Tool

That steps the user through a series of records to arrive at a diagnosis. In your case, you'd have to adapt this approach to produce your configuration instead of a diagnosis.

• 2. Re: Multiple Conditional Value List (11 levels)
            RashinAlizadeh

Hello,

I am also having trouble with the conditional  values. I feel like it's pretty simple but have spent days on this  without much success.

My database is supposed to help file documents for our office  (tell us where they are). The user will choose under what headings the  document fits to help narrow it down. Example: For a certain document  hey will choose the Administration heading to be led to all the  categories which fall under ADMINISTRATION heading selected, then they  have to choose the FILE type, then the SUBFILE type.

Here is the breakdown of what they have to choose from in order:

They must first choose from a HEADING

then a CATEGORY

then a FILE

then a SUBFILE

The  problem I am having is that when I choose the category the only options  given are the FILEs for the first CATEGORY even though I have selected a  category other than the first. The same problem occurs with the options  for SUBFILE. I am only provided with those associated with the first  FILE although I may have selected the second FILE.

I have created  seperate tables for each step the user has to make a selection. I have  created my value list to "use values from field" and use "only related  values from" the relationship it has with the independent variables  connected via a relationship.

• 3. Re: Multiple Conditional Value List (11 levels)
              philmodjunk

Apologies in advance if you've seen these links before, but here are some links that set up the basics for conditional value lists.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: http://www.4shared.com/file/f8NsU2DJ/ConditionalValueListDemo.html

If that doesn't get your conditional value lists up and running for you, let me know and we'll dig deeper...