8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2011 11:18 AM by philmodjunk

MULTIPLE CONDITIONAL VALUE LISTS

JessOttman

Title

MULTIPLE CONDITIONAL VALUE LISTS

Hi all,

Yep another question about conditional value lists, do forgive me i am only learning filemaker!!

I have posted already with a png graph of relationships occurring on my file. Dont seem to be getting any feedback regrding it so im just going to ask what i hope is a basic question and il try to do the rest myself.

How many conditional value lists can you have? Is 11 relating fileds too many? As in Have one field as show all values the rest on show only related values?

If so and this is possible does anyone have any advice in how i can go about doing it

Many thanks

Jess

• 1. Re: MULTIPLE CONDITIONAL VALUE LISTS
          philmodjunk

There's no pratical upper limit to the number of conditional value lists as far as I can tell. Each conditional value list requires its own relationship--so as long as you can keep adding relationships, you can keep adding more conditional value lists. The conditional value lists can be "linked" where the choice in each value list updates the options available in the next or they can be separate from one another.

• 2. Re: MULTIPLE CONDITIONAL VALUE LISTS
            JessOttman

Thank you for your reply.

I have found a post you have done in december last and i think its what im looking for.

ParentTable::ExpenseCat = ValueTable::ExpenseCat

ParentTable::ProductType = ValueTable 2::ProductType // make ValueTable 2 a table occurrence of ValueTable

If you define ValueTable with three Fields: ExpenseCat, ProductType, Item

You can define 3 value lists:

Expense Categories : specify values from ValueTable::ExpenseCat

Product Type : specify values from ValueTable::ProductType, show only related values starting from ParentTable

Items : specify values from ValueTable 2::Item, show only related values starting from ParentTable

I have currently got: View::DASH=DATA ENTRY::dash now i understand this is for 3 conditional lists at the moment i can only get one option after the selection. How do i go about settingup 11? if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks

• 3. Re: MULTIPLE CONDITIONAL VALUE LISTS
              philmodjunk

Keep in mind my suggestion on your original post that maybe conditional value lists may not be the best approach here.

Adding more linked conditional value lists is just extending the process to more fields and/or more tables of values all filtered by the values used in the relationships.

The post you are referring two sets up TWO conditional value lists and one value list that is not conditional. It sounds like you are having trouble setting this up for two conditional value lists. If you can get that working for you, I think you can then extrapolate the process to add more cascading value lists here.

The post you quote shows two relationships for these two conditional value lists, but you describe using only one relationship for this?

You'll need to describe what you have set up and how the data for your 11 value lists are structured before we can do much more here. (You could have replied back to your original post to bump it back up to the top and then we could more easily see that original screen shot. You can still edit your first post in this thread to add that screen shot here.)

• 4. Re: MULTIPLE CONDITIONAL VALUE LISTS
                JessOttman

My boss is quite insistent that conditional value lists is the best user friendly option for what we want at this time.

I have created a new test file to try to work this out a different way if i can.I will post a piture of my relationshiop structure also.

I have created conditional value list many times and they work quite well however there are only ever 2 levels no more so i am having gret difficulty in getting my head around the realtionships for this 11, if u can give any advice in where i am going wrong i am open to all suggestionas and advice.

Thanks

• 5. Re: MULTIPLE CONDITIONAL VALUE LISTS
                  philmodjunk

Can't see any new image posted so I'm still waiting to see more. Here's a demo file where I and another poster worked out a series of value lists based on more than just two conditional value lists:  http://www.4shared.com/file/gd6_fDgn/conditional_value_listDec.html

You may be able to glean a few clues from it.

The biggest pitfall developers run into when setting up a series of cascading conditional value lists is that all the conditional value list table occurrences have to be directly related back to a common table occurrence--usually the layout's table occurrence--and not in a "chain" of relationships to each other.

• 6. Re: MULTIPLE CONDITIONAL VALUE LISTS
                    JessOttman

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the link i will try and see if i can figure this out using it. I dont exactly know how to upload a picture but il head on with this and see if i get anywhere,the post i referred to yesterday is what im looking for with regards catagories.The way its filtered, Maybe like you said conditional value lists might not be the best option can you suggest anything else?

Thank you

• 7. Re: MULTIPLE CONDITIONAL VALUE LISTS
                      JessOttman

Hi phil

i have looked at the link and im afraid im just bk to square one.

I have been trying to use a calculation instead but still no joy. All im looking to do is make a multi level conditional value list but im afraid im lost and i think i must be overlooking the solution or just not looking at it enough

any help more than appreciated

Thanks

• 8. Re: MULTIPLE CONDITIONAL VALUE LISTS
                        philmodjunk

I wouldn't use a calculation field for this. That's a very limited option that works well only in certain applications and a "chain" of 11 conditional value lists isn't one of them.

The easiest place to upload an image is to go back to your original message at the top of the screen and click Edit Post. You'll then have access to a place where you can upload a screen shot from your computer to the forum. To add am image to another post other than the first, you have to upload the image to a file sharing site and then post a link to that image file here.

The demo file has multiple cascading conditional value list where each selection narrows the list of options listed in the next value list. That should give you a good example of how to set this up.