4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2009 12:03 PM by KenS

Multiple db files and privileges

KenS

Title

Multiple db files and privileges

My db spans 3 files, Main/UI, Calendar, and Data. I have two levels of privilege at the moment (more to be added) for admin ("full access") and for "user" specific. The user specific has priviledges limited by a comparison in tables to a global field containing a user identifier, which is set in the file opening script. If I open the Main file with user level privleges, close the window, re-open the file and login in as admin the privileges for the main file are at admin level while the privileges for calendar and data files are at the user privileges. Note, I dont actually have windows open into the Calendar and Data files, just table references from inside the main/ui file. If I quit FMP and re-open the file at admin level privileges for all files are at admin level.  How can this be?

Using FMP 10 Advanced on Mac OS X 10.6.1 

Thanks 

• 1. Re: Multiple db files and privileges
          mrvodka
             Are you certain that those other windows are closed as well? Go under the Window menu and see if they are hidden ( show window submenu).
          • 2. Re: Multiple db files and privileges
            KenS
               Positive that all windows were closed. I didnt even open windows into the other files. I had the same thought though, checked the Windows menu. No Windows listed after closing the Main file.
            • 3. Re: Multiple db files and privileges
              philmodjunk

Filemaker often opens windows to related files automatically. These are opened as hidden windows and should be visible in the Windows | Show submenu.

(A known bug in windows sometimes keeps open windows from listing correctly in the windows menu, but you've indicated that you are using a Mac system.)

• 4. Re: Multiple db files and privileges
                KenS

Thanks for the tip on the Show submenu. Hadnt noticed it. It shows the automatically opened files when my main file is open and not when not open. So it seems the windows are closed. But the permissions do not get updated correctly when the file is re-opened or re-logged in. Anyone got any idea how that might be. If exit FMP and restart all is well, otherwise the permissions seem to stay with those set by the first account I log into. To clarify, the main/UI file I log into takes on the re-login permissions, while the background/data files do not.

Using FMP 10 Advanced and will be moving it onto Server 10 soon (havent checked to see if problem occurs there.)