AnsweredAssumed Answered

Multiple Different Layout Views each with Only a Select Set of Records from One Table based on a...

Question asked by RobertWinter on Jun 1, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Multiple Different Layout Views each with Only a Select Set of Records from One Table based on a Specific Field Value from that Table

Multiple Different Layout Views each with Only a Select Set of Records from One Table based on a Specific Field Value from that Table.

As only a potential point of reference for those familiar with I am heavily editing FMStartingPoint2's Solution as a foundation for building my solution.

I am new at this. I have several Tables, but two basic ones Accounts and Contacts. I want to be able to have three different layout views (with each layout having a table for detail, list or table view) of Accounts (each layout is slightly different, on the order of 10-20% different). The key question for me is that each layout will be a subset of the records from Accounts. Specifically, a 'type' field in Accounts (value = Institution, Advisor or Agent) will be used identify the selected/subset/filtered records from the Accounts Table. And upon entering the data entry mode of each layout (which will have the corresponding names of Institution, Advisor and Agent) must never be able to access the records outside of their 'type'.

One thought and perhaps a good one or bad one is to use ... OnLayoutEnter and then Perform a Find based on the 'type' value as discussed above (though there maybe 10,000 in the database, so do not know how efficient this is...plus after selecting I am going to one to do a sort on the selected records based on two other fields in the table). Second idea, perhaps some sort of table occurance relationship needs to be created, but have no idea how to proceed this way.

Whatever the solution, if you could clearly communicate an efficient, clean solution that would be most appreciated (i.e., assume I do not know much other than the basics plus a little more).

Outcomes