1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 18, 2013 10:09 PM by philmodjunk

multiple drop down list from a single Table and single value list that auto fill other fields

xyrejeddiah

Title

multiple drop down list from a single Table and single value list that auto fill other fields

i have a table which has a total of 10 fields. 5 fields (dropdown) asset1; asset2, asset3, asset4, asset5, which has the same value list  and 5 other fields (edit box) marketvalue1, marketvalue2, marketvalue3, marketvalue4, marketvalue5.

i want that when i choose from the dropdown/asset fields it corresponding value will appear in the marketvalue fields.

something like:

marketvalue1 = correspodns to the assigned market value of  the choice made in asset1 and so on...

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: multiple drop down list from a single Table and single value list that auto fill other fields
          philmodjunk

In my answer, I am assuming that you have a table from which you can look up or reference Market values for each asset specified in one of your asset fields.

I suggest that you first modify the design of your tables and relationships as that will then make what you want to do easier to set up and is an approach that also makes for more flexibility.

Set up a related table to use in a portal in place of the fields asset1 through asset5 and marketvalue1 throughMarketValue5. Create one record in this table for each pair of asset and market value fields in your current version. This then enables you to set up these relationships:

OriginalTable---<Asset_MarketValue>-----Assets(market values to be looked up are stored here)

OriginalTable::__pkOriginalTableID = Asset_MarketValue::_fkOriginalTableID
               Assets::__pkAssetID = Asset_MarketValue::_fkAssetID

See the first post of this thread for an explanation of the notation that I am using: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

WIth these relationships in place the MarketValues from Assets can be either copied from Assets into the matching field in Asset_MarketValue or you can add the market value field from Assets directly to the portal row. The first option captures and preserves the current value and does not change if the value from which the value is copied later changes. The second option automatically update to show the current value each time the value in the related record in Assets is modified.