3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 1:23 PM by philmodjunk

multiple emails (one email message) without duplicates

GarnetMartens

Title

multiple emails (one email message) without duplicates

Hi,  I have a database with multiple clients across multiple groups that are sometimes (necessarily) duplicated.  When I sort and send out an email to several people I often end up with several duplicate email addresses.  Is there a script that I can write to search for and omit the duplicate emails so I do not have to manually delete them in my email client?

Thank you,

Garnet

• 1. Re: multiple emails (one email message) without duplicates
          philmodjunk

You should restructure your database so that you do not have multiple email addresses. Having those duplicate records will create many issue for you in addition to this one.

You can set up a related table of groups plus a third, join, table and then you can link one record with a given email address to multiple groups and yet have a given group list many email addresses.

• 2. Re: multiple emails (one email message) without duplicates
            GarnetMartens

Thanks PilModJunk,

Let me explain why the duplicates are there.  My database contains students that belong to a given research lab that has only one supervisor.  The duplicates come from the fact that many of these students have several research grants from which they draw funds, hence more than one entry in the db.  It is necessary to keep these funds separate so I have to have duplicate entries. 

Garnet

• 3. Re: multiple emails (one email message) without duplicates
              philmodjunk

You still do not have to have duplicate email addresses in your data. Are these email addresses for the student, the supervisor or the grant administrators?

What you have described so far reads like a series of one to many relationships:

Labs-----<Students-----<Grants

But if a given grant may be linked to more than one student, you can have:

Labs----<Students-----<Student_Grant>-----Grants

---< stands for one to many