3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 3:02 PM by philmodjunk

Multiple FInds in one request - Is it poss.?

EricNetsultants

Title

Multiple FInds in one request - Is it poss.?

If I have a field with random text and I want to search for mutliple names inside the text is there a function to put the search attributes in one request?

Example:

Request 1: *tom*

Request 2: *Jerry*

Request 3: *Pumpkin*

Is there a way to

Request 1: (*tom*,*jerry*,*pumpkin*)

• 1. Re: Multiple FInds in one request - Is it poss.?
          TKnTexas

In the Find mode place "Tom" in the appropriate field.  Ctrl-N (Cmd-N on Mac) for second request type "Jerry", repeat for each request.  If you want all "tom" but only "Jerry" in "TX" the second request would have "Jerry" in the name Field and "TX" in the state field.  Then click on PERFORM FIND.

• 2. Re: Multiple FInds in one request - Is it poss.?
            EricNetsultants

Yep, I know it can be done that way.

But I want to know if you can do a this find with one request and not have to create two requests.

Like in Ebay if you want to search for Nikon D800 & Canon 5D you put this in the search field : (nikon d800, canon 5d)

Is there a way to do that in the search area on one request?

• 3. Re: Multiple FInds in one request - Is it poss.?
              philmodjunk

When you put all criteria in the same request you are specifying an "And" find where you are requesting all records where the field contains Tom AND Jerry AND Pumpkin.

When you segregate the criteria into separate requests, you are specifying an "OR" find where you are requesting all records where the field contains Tom OR Jerry OR Pumpkin.

This does not mean you have to force uses to create separate requests to perform a find. Like all database systems, it's often necessary to set up your own layout where the user selects/enters criteria and then a script makes life easier for the user by constructing the needed query for them. A script can loop through a list of specified criteria such as this, construct the needed requests and then performs the find for the user.