1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2010 6:23 PM by sunmoonstar.13

Multiple Keywords for Contact Management

SilentOne

Title

Multiple Keywords for Contact Management

Hello,

We're new to FMPro and trying to figure how we can best use it for contact management for our small business. The software we've been using up until now has given us the option to assign any number of keywords (academic, television, director, producer, etc.) to individual contact records, and search the database by entering either a single keyword or a combination of keywords. We would like to be able to replicate this function in FMPro

So far we've been working from the contact management layout/template. Can anyone explain to me specifically what kind of customization we would need to do to this template to allow us to enter and search by keyword/multiple keywords? Ultimately we will also be importing a few thousand records from our old database using a spreadsheet, and any option/suggestion that would allow us to avoid reentering the keywords for each record would also be ideal.

Thanks in advance,

SO

• 1. Re: Multiple Keywords for Contact Management
          sunmoonstar.13

On the face of it, I'd say all you need to do is add a Text field to the layout to store your keywords. You can then search this field by keyword/multiple keywords, assuming that all the keywords are in a single field, which is what I'd recommend. If the keywords are in one field, when you're doing a search (called "Find" in Filemaker terms) you could type the first few letters of multiple words to find what you're looking for. For instance, you could type "tel pro" to find all the records with keywords of "television" and "producer".

Are the keywords in your spreadsheet all in one cell? Or does each keyword exist in a separate cell? If they're separate, I would suggest that you create a calculation in your spreadsheet that copies them all into a single cell first, then import that field into the relevant field in your Filemaker solution.

Nick