1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 9:05 AM by philmodjunk

multiple languages possible?

kangping

Title

multiple languages possible?

hi everybody.

right now i am evaluating filemaker for usage in our agency (full-service design/production).
      i'm pretty impressed by the ease of use and possibilities filemaker could give us, but i have one question.
      since we are an international team i would like to produce the database in three different languages.
      would this be possible and how would one hook up the tables for this? i am thinking of a table for the UI translation (would be the easiest to administre, i guess) and the layouts just take the translation they need
      at the moment from this table.

is this possible? would someone be kind enough to point me how to do it? i'm still in the trial period and
      would be happy to find out how this works ... that would make filemaker totally a no-brainer.

best regards,

dave

• 1. Re: multiple languages possible?
          philmodjunk

FileMaker can be installed in a number of different languages so you can research those on FileMaker's product information page. That won't translate your layouts, but does control what language appears in menus, dialog boxes, etc.

You have two choices, I think:

You can create different layouts for each language group and keep them all in one file. A startup script can use a number of methods to identify the preferred language and scripts, buttons, script triggers you design can select the layout that's appropriate each time a use clicks a button or selects a layout from the layout drop down.

You can use a data separate model and design complete separate interface files for each language that all link to the same data back end.

Even if you decide to keep all layouts in one file, a data separation model can make maintaining them easier to manage. With a data separation approach, one file contains all layouts, scripts, value lists etc and the second file contains the data tables that the first file links to via external data source references. The key advantage to this approach is that you can distribute updated interface files as needed without having to import data into the new file from the old.